Surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Surgery

Post by hope16_05 »

Hi Janelle!
I was actually injured at birth so I am butting in on the traumatic boards. (sorry!) I like to see how people improve and know that even after a doctor has given up on you, there is still hope!
So I have had my injury 20 years but have made most of my progress in the last three years when I finally found a great doctor and an amazing therapist! My hair is just past my shoulders now, long enough to have about a 5 inch pony tail. It was half way down my back but I decided to cut it before I had my most recent surgery because I knew I would not be able to handle it all after surgery.

I am letting it grow again though. My hair is my motivation to do my therapy! When I quit doing my therapy, my hand gets too weak to do my hair so I have to keep up with my therapy. So far that has worked for me over the last three years since I learned to do my hair.

Sounds like your hair will be motivational too! It will be awesome for you when you can do your hair again when you get elbow movement back again! I cant wait to hear when you do your hair again!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Janelle54

Re: Surgery

Post by Janelle54 »

Amy,
You are a true inspiration.

I sent an email to my boss today informing her that I will be talking to my Dr. on Aug 3rd about coming back to work part time starting Aug 20th. I plan on starting Mon, Tues, & Thursday from 7 - 11. I have therapy Wed & Fri. I hope to increase it to M - F the following week. I then want to build it up to full time. I can think of no reason why my Dr would oppose this plan.

I'm looking forward to getting my life back. Going back to work is a huge part of this for me. I love my job and worked very hard last year to fix a lot of issues they had. I only started with them in Jan 2006. They were thrilled with what I had accomplished in 1 year. I can see how a lot of that has back slide with me gone. I can't wait to get things moving in the right direction again.

Keep up the therapy. We both know it really does work.

Enjoy your long hair. I will enjoy watching mine grow long again.

Janelle