Golf (trying a new sport and need some help)

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Golf (trying a new sport and need some help)

Post by admin »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone here plays golf or has tried. I have BP in my right arm and have gone to the driving range and played but I was hoping maybe I could get some expert advice from someone like me. I need help with my swing. I like to try new things especially things I probably won't do well with but I have fun.
Let me know if anyone can help or suggest anyone else who may know.
Thanks,
Traci
Dianna williams

Re: Golf (trying a new sport and need some help)

Post by Dianna williams »

Traci,
my son Errett had a Tbpi on his right side, and after he started getting movement back he picked up golf, it has helped with his range of motion, and help bring back movement, he never played before he was hurt but is good now, (his friend that he plays with won state in high school in golf and Errett can beat him now)
whne he comes home form collage i will have him respond to you.or email you.
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Hi,
Golf is not my best!, but i do some swimming.I had try some bicycling with help of a tool, as you can see www.geocities.com/paulo_go
Hope it helps
Best to you
Paulo
TINA-T

Re: Golf .......OR Just swinging a club :)

Post by TINA-T »

Hi Traci

My BPI affects both my arms, but guess what? I started hitting the ball around (I hate to call it golfing haha) at a local par 4 course and actually like the game very much :) I don't have good form and can't hit the ball very far at one pop, but HEY I'm outside with the hubby and a 6 pk. of cold ones.........what more could you want on a beautiful spring day. Sorry I can't offer any advice. Just do what works best for you and have fun. Hey, maybe we can get a BPI Golf Classic started hahahaha
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Traci, I play golf regularly now.
I'm getting better all the time and I have had lessons. The thing with it is you have to accept that most of the time you're not going to hit the ball as long as others. Having said that I can still out-drive some of my playing partners! My swing is not totally consistent yet, but I'm working on that (you have to slow the swing down a bit to give you control). On the plus side now that I've accepted my limitations, I still hit the ball a fair way and usually its pretty straight (something I had trouble with when I used two arms). It's good therapy and seems to have made my BPI shoulder much stronger. The only other downer is people do stare. I usually call over to them that at least if I hit a bad ball I've got a good excuse, what's theirs? They usually look away then!
Graphite shafts are useful too. Steel shafts are very heavy when you've only the one hand. I'd love to replace mine with graphite, but the cost is too much right now (get out the violins).
Email me if you want to know more.....
All the best, Steve.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you all so much, I kind of felt it was a silly attempt for me trying golf but now it feels worth it. Talk about staring you should see me serve in Tennis. But hey I'm not bad at that so maybe once I get used to this I'll be good too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Traci, I have a total bpi of my right arm also. Before the accident I was shooting in the low 80's and guess what it's a bitch left handed but it is just one obstacle that is fun to try to get past. Iv'e played about 5 times since the accident and can shoot about 125-130 with just the one arm. Keep trying and practicing it takes time but most of all enjoy doing it.

Scott