Search found 604 matches

by EllenB
Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:52 am
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: gracillis muscul transfer surgery
Replies: 5
Views: 924

Re: gracillis muscul transfer surgery

<r>Hi Ewa,<br/> <br/> I know the distances are huge, but my family will be in Budapest mid-June, and Prague at the end of June 2008. John will be with us if you're in the area and would like to meet. He will be 21 in June. Here's his story from the Mayo website. <br/> <br/> <URL url="http://www.mayo...
by EllenB
Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:17 am
Topic: gracillis muscul transfer surgery
Views: 924

Re: gracillis muscul transfer surgery

<t>Hi Ewa,<br/> <br/> My son had the same surgery done at the Mayo Clinic and had excellent results. In the US, they probably have done more of these surgeries than anyone else. Dr. Nath might be doing them now, but I'd strongly encourage you to find a doctor who has a lot of experience because it i...
by EllenB
Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:05 am
Topic: One Arm Video Demonstrations?
Replies: 3
Views: 726

Re: One Arm Video Demonstrations?

<t>Dan, what a GREAT IDEA!!! This would benefit everybody, of all ages, obpi & tbpi. Maybe the ubpn folks could set up a special link so all the youtube videos would be more accessible.<br/> <br/> It would also help if there was a consistent way the video was described - maybe an input form with...
by EllenB
Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:34 pm
Topic: Who are the good Doctors for BPI surgery?
Views: 864

Re: Who are the good Doctors for BPI surgery?

<t>You're probably not very far from Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore Maryland. Dr Allan Belzberg is a highly respected surgeon there who sees a lot of BPI patients. My son went to the team at Mayo Clinic, and we think they are incredible - but they respect Dr. Belzberg enough to refer patients t...
by EllenB
Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:50 pm
Topic: recent traumatic bpi - need help and advice
Replies: 31
Views: 4988

Re: recent traumatic bpi - need help and advice

<t>Hi Judy,<br/> <br/> Sorry it took me a couple days to see your post. I don't check in as much as I used to, now that John is away at college. I can sure appreciate your frustration, though. <br/> <br/> John was good about doing his daily therapy for the first couple years (and he also went to PT ...
by EllenB
Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 am
Topic: Amazing moments
Replies: 1
Views: 446

Re: Amazing moments

As my daughter would say, that was "cool as grits"! I got up to 340 & then decided I'd better get back to work. Thanks for sharing your ideas of giving both ways.

Take care,

Ellen
by EllenB
Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:20 am
Topic: how long does this pain last
Replies: 9
Views: 1334

Re: how long does this pain last

<t>Hi Billie,<br/> <br/> My son is also 20, and he was injured 5 years ago when he was hit by a car while riding his bike. All five of his bp nerves were avulsed, and I can tell you that the pain was the worst part of the injury - much worse than the paralyzed arm & loss of functionality. John i...
by EllenB
Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:13 pm
Topic: Does Mayo Clinic care if there is litigation?
Replies: 15
Views: 2615

Re: Does Mayo Clinic care if there is litigation?

Same as you - to Wendy Lee. I've never heard of anything like that from Mayo! Seems the majority of bpi cases are the result of accidents involving someone else, and by default that means lawyers are involved.

Ellen
by EllenB
Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:39 pm
Topic: Recovery time.
Replies: 4
Views: 802

Re: Recovery time.

<t>The time period you posted was actually 1 1/2 years. Is that correct, or did you mean 6 months? Expectation of time for nerve innervation is based on the length the grafted or transferred nerve needs to grow to reach the muscle - and only your surgeon would know that answer based on what was done...