Muscle Transfers

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Muscle Transfers

Post by chimley »

Hello,
It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I come seeking feedback from those who have undergone a trapezius muscle transfer and/or a brachioradialis muscle transfer.

Rick is now three years out from his ulner nerve transfer to C5/C6. We will be meeting with a BP team at University of Michigan after the first of the year to discuss these two options for Rick. It's my understanding that the trapezius muscle transfer would help with shoulder abduction and the brachioradialis transfer would help with supination.

I would like to hear from folks who have had any of these two surgeries and your thoughts on them. Was it successful? What was the surgery like? Recovery and therapy after? And, did this help relieve any of the pain you had prior?

It's hard to believe that it has been 3 1/2 years since Rick's accident. I find myself thinking less and less of the days prior to Rick's injury, we've come to accept the injury for what it is. Rick has received his duty disability retirement and SSD, and for that, we are thankful. He is trying to get adaptive equipment on his car, but we've hit a snag with the State of Michigan, due to the pain meds he is on. We've sent in paperwork from the pain clinic, so we wait and see. This journey has been the ultimate lesson in patience!!

I appreciate those who give input to my questions. Blessings to all of you....you are all amazing people!

Kim
Wife of Rick, LTBPI
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: Muscle Transfers

Post by cbe411 »

Hi Kim... Im not sure if we talked before (sorry I talk with so many). I am in MI also.

I had the Gracillis muscle transfer done. Mine was unsuccessful! I got a nasty staph infection, killing the muscle. It was a tough surgery. The first 2 weeks after was sore! However, I would do it all over again to gain function in my arm!!

I hope you get some feedback! Good luck!!

Courtney