FIRST SURGERY DONE

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

FIRST SURGERY DONE

Post by ArmStrong »

WELL THE DAY HAS COME AND GONE,I HAD NERVE TRANSFER SURGERY ON THE FRIDAY 25TH ,SORE AND UNCOMFORTABLE BUT GLAD IT'S OVER AND HAVING SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO.GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Re: FIRST SURGERY DONE

Post by dani_was_here »

Best of luck. Remember be patient it takes a while.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Good Luck! :)
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Good luck and fast healing to you!!!

Where did you have it done?
How did you deal with the health insurance issue?
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Congratulations on getting that behind you. I remember when I had mine, I was extremely nervous. Now for the hard part....be patient! I had my surgery in October and started to believe I wasted a lot of time, pain and money because it didn't move at all. It was August and I was on Vacation, had got in a pool and all of a sudden I realized I could move it ever so slowly, but it moved! I was excited and my arm and hand has progressed ever since.

I said all that to encourage you to be patient!

Keep your chin up and keep on keeping on,
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

THANKS FOR THE WELL WISHES,I KNOW IT'S STILL GOING TO BE A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF ME BUT I'M VERY THANKFUL TO HAVE ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN DOWN THAT ROAD AND CONTINUE TO INSPIRE AND BE INSPIRED.IT REALLY HELPS TO KNOW THAT THERE IS LIFE AFTER BPI. I'LL BE SURE TO KEEP YOU ALL POSTED.THANKS AGAIN
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

best of luck, wishing you a speedy recovery. my thoughts and prayers are with you. s ;)
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

YOU ARE AWSOME!!!! :mrgreen: Get well soon! ;)

Best trys Latter, :D
Tom
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

i'm happy for you ArmStrong. i hope you get good results. as you already know, it's going to be a lot of hard work. i wish you the best. take care.
Shaun Murray
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: paralysed right arm through motorbike accident in 1979 have a lot of chronic neropathic pain and am trying medication

Post by Shaun Murray »

how long was your accident before you had the surgery ?