Videos: Before and After Surgeries

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Videos: Before and After Surgeries

Post by AngelaW »

EDIT
Just a quick note. I've decided to temporarily take the videos down. Using the links with youtube just isn't secure enough. I know it's a bit of a bummer but no worries. Hopefully I can think of a better way to show the videos. :)
Last edited by AngelaW on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Re: Videos: Before and After Surgeries

Post by hilltopfwb »

It is awesome to see your progression. You look outstanding and seem to be extremely productive! Congratulations!,
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

The before and after shots are amazing. You've made excellent progress!
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

Ang,
thanks for sharing the vids. you have improved pretty dramatically. boy, i sure
wish for some lift/elbow action like you have. you rock, keep on.
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

Question, though for the amount of gains you have, it probably doesn't matter... but what are the scars/amount of incisions made in the shoulder & tricep/bicep transfer?
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Hi Ang,

Thanks for sharing your success! The guys at Mayo have offered me the same sort of wrist/finger fusion you had. Has the outcome made it easier/harder to put on clothes and gloves?

Best,

MW
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Thank you so much for the nice comments everyone! I really appreciate them. I hope the videos are proving to be helpful :)

Cristina - Heheh, I've had so many surgeries all over my body I don't even think to ask about the scars or incisions since it doesn't even matter to me at this point :lol: but let me think........ the shoulder surgery has several incisions (i think... I had the nerve transfer so close that I get the two surgery scars confused) but there is one sizable scar that runs vertically down the shoulder blade area that is definately from the shoulder surgery. Everyone scars differently; on me it's pretty thick and slightly raised, but not too bad. Totally worth having shoulder function and as you saw, the shape of my shoulder is so improve that I would take a scar over the "quasimodo look", lol ;)
The Tricep to Bicep transfer there is a very thin, 3' scar underneath the arm, vertically from the elbow towards the shoulder. It's super thin and hardly noticable...again, worth the trade off.
I am going to try t0 get another video with my ahoulder and arm bare so the phyiscal results can be seen better and I will try to get a zoom-in on the scarring.

MW - Absolutely I have an easier time getting dressed and I wear gloves every day. This is mainly because a) my wrist is fused so is now rigid instead of flopping around and b) the fingers have been positioned so that they are fairly straight instead of curled and are hooked up to the working tendons better so I can clench them together (before the fingers flailed so they would get caught on sleeves and I was actually afraid of breaking them that way) Hope this helps :)
Last edited by AngelaW on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

I agree, even though there are sizable scars involved, the trade-offs are much greater. I would take the scars over no function any day. & That's so much more than minor function! :)
BaldPlumber

Post by BaldPlumber »

You look sooo pleased in the 2nd video Angela - very happy for you :)
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I just had a minute to watch your videos and I am amazed!!! Thats incredible amount of functional return!
Thanks for sharing the videos Angela
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN