DREZ Surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
lizzyb

Re: DREZ Surgery

Post by lizzyb »

Way to go Kenny!!! I am SOO pleased this has worked for you!! The DREZ procedure is being used more and more these days and the more they do it, the more experience they get and the more successes they have.

Thanks for letting us know!

Take care now...!

Liz :0)

kkgitz

Post by kkgitz »

Dear Liz,
Thank you too, because surgerey does require a lot of research then just reading the "horror" stories I've read prior to my leap of faith.
I read a few of the stories on the pages here that I was "really scared" but I'm so glad that I went with my surgery.
Dr. Osenbach is a real straight forward man and will pull no punches or give out 100 % assurances... as I said "everyone" has their own story to tell....the only thing I can say is that I found out that I was around the 100th time Dr. O did this procedure with kinda gave me a small amount of confidence going in...and I do mean SMALL!!
Thanks for the reply and have a great day,
Kindest Regards,
Kenny G.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi Kenny
Hope things are still going well:0) Good to hear it's worked so far, what's it like being pain free after so long?
Take care anyway
Jen NZ
texastoys

Post by texastoys »

hi--
i was referred by another neurosurgeon in texas. i flew on oct.14, 2006 to duke, had mri, mylogram, c-scan done. then met osenback...he showed on my neck where he'd cut in removing bone and perform over 90 lesions in my spinal cord for my paralyzed right arm which my hand has felt like it was on fire holding burning lava rocks for past 15 years from a motorcycle wreck. only thing he told me could go wrong is weakening, coordination in right leg. never mentioned any other bad outcomes. he looked at my mri and said all nerve roots to arm are avulsion.
i told him my thumb and index finger on left hand burn too in a different way, could he just isolate those two. he said "no" plus he saw no nerve avulsions on the left side. and, he said since i have nearly 100% use of my left hand and 40% use of left arm, he wouldn't attempt anything on that side. i said good because i depend on my left arm/hand for everything.
well, i went back nov 13, 2006 for the drez. got dressed, placed bed, anesthesiologist started the drugs...then osenback came in said, "hey, u need to sign this paper". and, again he assured me he was not working on my left side--too risky. drugs were already taking affect and i still don't know what i signed.
6 hours after surgery, and recovery room, i woke up with zero pain(drugs) and a completely numb left arm and hand. now i'm scared to death of what he did since he was supposed to leave the left side alone. he gave me no answers before flying back to texas. 1st two months i couldn't be left alone, went to my doctor plenty for pain drugs, anxiety, depression and sleeping meds. my wife had to take off 2 months of work to take care of me. over past 4 months, my legs are no better, hard to walk and slow. my left hand has no feeling, can't feel cold or hot, all my fingers have curved over and i have 9% use and very little strength. i depend on my wife to do everything for our family...i'm scared to death of never getting my one productive hand/arm back. sadly, i'd prefer terrible burning before surgery to my current prison life of hell. i loved doing landscaping, yard work, riding my bicycle 27 to 35 miles 4 times per week which i no longer can do. osenback attempted to play god on my left side, and now i'm paying for it.
Todd
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Todd
So sorry to hear what'sd happened to you. Has the doctor who performed the surgery not got any follow up, even after such major surgery? I think you should insist on some answers, and soon.
Maybe whoever referred you can help, you really do need to get on to getting some help finding out what's going on in there. You need to make a lot of noise to get answers.
Let us know how you go, take care
Jen NZ
texastoys

Post by texastoys »

hi Jen--
i met with an orthopedic surgeon today, he reviewed mri's from before surgery and one taken 3 weeks ago. immediately, he pointed out a herniated disc between C5 and C6 which is in mri prior to surgery. osenbach's report shows that he burned parts of C6. orthopedic couldn't believe osenbach didn't talk to me about it before burning nerves on my left side since i have use of that side. he said herniated disc could be the cause of my left arm/hand problems + legs since they are below C6. i was told nerve roots are hardly ever avulsed on both side of the spine. every neurosurgeon i have seen over past 15 years said only right brachial are avulsed, not the left which was only arm to work. orthopedic advised to remove herniated disc to take pressure off spine. osenbach screwed me up bad, should have scene hernia right where he's looking, and not have messed with my left side like he promised. osenbach requested my latest mri from here, they sent it over a week ago and still no word from him. i destroyed my life up completely by going to him for the DREZ.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Todd,
What a horror story, I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I thought very seriously about getting the DREZ procedure done myself, and I understood that Dr. Osenbach at Duke was one of the best out there for getting it done. Very frightening stuff.

It sounds like his bedside manner is non existent. No follow up or follow through, that's ridiculous, especially for any surgery of that severity.

I would demand a follow up appointment, and make the unfortunate effort of flying back to North Carolina, so Osenbach knows exactly what has happened and can start helping you find the appropriate road to recovery.

I would think meeting with another neurosurgeon that specializes in DREZ procedure as well would be of great importance, to have an outside opinion as to exactly what is going on.

As horrible as this all is Todd, I'm very grateful for your posting of your experience. This is the only way others will discover the dangers of having one of these procedures done. I can't seem to let go of the childish belief that I'm invincible and indestructible, and when considering something as severe as a DREZ procedure, I have this silly belief that any of the possible complications that could arise from a dangerous operation of that sort would never happen to me. In my heart I know how foolish this is, but I guess my ego over rules. Thanks for letting us know the very real risks and danger that you are experiencing and suffering with.

Keep us posted on your recovery. I wish you the very best in healing and the most possible pain free life.

Best of Luck,
Chris