Nancy had emergency surgery for New Years

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Joy in FL

Re: Nancy had emergency surgery for New Years

Post by Joy in FL »

Well, Ms. Nancy no one can accuse you of having an uneventful New Year!

I hope your flight home was comfortable. Rest and take care of yourself.
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes. It is heartening and cheering to know that one has such friends scattered around the globe wishing one well.

On New Year's Eve, I was having some significant pain in my abdomen which put me in the ER. I was on the Texas coast on vacation, literally in the middle of nowhere on Matagorda Island, to do some birdwatching. The county hospital was 45 minutes away but we found it!

After a CT scan, it appeared that I had a ruptured diverticulitis, which is life threatening and they did emergency surgery. Fortunately once in, it was not ruptured but was abcessed and they did whatever they do to clean that out, closed me up, and then began pumping in major amounts of IV antibiotics. I'm still on a couple of oral antibiotics and am recovering from both the diverticulitis and the abdominal surgery.

It was quite an experience and not the most pleasant way to usher in the New Year, but I am glad to be here! Having a bpi does complicate other surgical procedures and I'll be sharing more about that in an upcoming President's column.

In the meantime, I'm back home, weak in body but strong in spirit.

Nancy

Dean-na

Post by Dean-na »

Nancy:

I am so glad that your doing better. I know that your glad to be back home. I bet you had no idea what was happening. You know it is bad when you get sick but something like that happening & be out of town at the same time was probably very scarey. You better take care.

Deanna
jep98056

Post by jep98056 »

Nancy:
Glad that you're home and on the road to recovery.

John P.
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Post by Brenda333 »

I just posted on the regular board, asking how you were. I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Sending prayers your way.

Best of Health,
Brenda
Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic
Allison

Post by Allison »

Nancy,
Glad to hear you are on your way to recovery. My goodness, what a scare. Please know we are thinking about you, and hope you are feeling better very soon!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nancy,

Oh my goodness! What a frightening experience. I am so glad to hear that you are going to be okay. Glad to hear you are strong in spirit. Rest up so you can get strong in body again as well. A crazy way to start the New Year but also a reminder of the blessing of our very own existence. Take care of yourself and know that you have many thoughts and prayers coming your way.