TBPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: TBPI

Post by jennyb »

There is a list of those who have been contacted but haven't responded here's a link http://ubpn.org/medicalresources/nrdocs.html
Check on here Paul to see if any of those you know are here. I have had good reports of the work done by several of these doctors, maybe they just don't want to be on the list, maybe they haven't got around to responding yet, don't let that put you off a consultation with any of them.
Paul

Post by Paul »

ok thanks I will look at it. But Im not looking Im just helping out here. Im set for now with doctor Grossmen & Price........... Paul
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hey john this is hd yea your right it stands for harley davidson i had surgery jan 13 03 thety did an intercostal nerve graft from the ribcage to the bicep and then took a nerve from my trapeziuos muscle to my shoulder and if that stabilizes than future surgery can be done for the hand if i regain feeling in it but i just learned recently that there is a newer surgery that they perform were they go ahead and do the muscle transfer from the leg immediatly depending on the injury
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't know why Dr. Bishop hasn't responded, but he's really not a bad guy,- kinda different, but not bad. His colleagues- Spinner and Shin are first rate nice guys. Just thought I'd throw that in. Onepaw
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hello everyone I know its been awhile since ive been to the site or posted i dont know were time goes it seems like getting ready for the day and therapy i dont have time for anything else its close to 5 months after surgery and not really any results yet im sure there is others who have the problem with the muscle atrophy around the shoulder area and it falling out of socket it seems like that gap is getting smaller and the therapist said he can feel certain muscles twitching but im not sure if thats it or im straining so hard to move a muscle group that others are shaking i meet with the surgeon on june 12 to see if i continue therapy or wait and see if there are any other results and then continue good luck on recovery and learning to cope to everybody out there
joan/rusty

Post by joan/rusty »

Hdcrash,
I was wondering if yoiur nerves were avulsed or not. Glad to here that thing are going good for you. Also are you wearing a cast to keep your fingers straight? Your times sound like old times. I trashed c5-t1 in '87. Good Luck
Rusty
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

yea i avulsed c5 c6 c7 and streched t1 c8 when they did the surgery and rewired the avulsed roots they left t1 and c8 alone because they could have already started to grow back but they just couldnt tell they hooked them up to sometype of machine and said they werent sending any signal but if the pain is a sign of signal they are sending plenty. no i havent had to wear a splint for my fingers yet im really good at keeping them straight and limber my shoulder is the biggest problem and i dont strech enough at home knowing its gonna hurt like hell at therapy and then leave there saying man ive got to do more at home. how did you you get your injury if you dont mind me asking and did you have any surgery
joan/rusty

Post by joan/rusty »

Hdcrash,
I was on a crouch rocket and hit a '72 LTD. If you were wondering a '72 LTD will stop a bike on a dime. Anyway, yea I have been under the knife more than I care to think. But the most important one was with Dr. Kline. He took nerves from my leg and graphed them up top. I got back some shoulder, elbow and scapula. My shoulder does not look like it is out of socket anymore. But my arm in a whole is not as big around as my -my -my -kids baseball bat.( not what you were thinking ??? ) Also with my luck I got back alot of feeling in my hand.( wish that would go away )It was really odd because I got the movement early on. -- like within a couple of years. The feeling just came on STRONG within the last 6-8 months Kline says it just took it's sweet time. Tried to talk him into going in and cutting everything loose to see if the pain would decrease, but he said NO WAY. I'm going to try this "pump" see if that works. If not, then it's the dreaded DREZ. Thanks for the info on the fishing reel, but I need one to bass fish. Stay in touch, I would like to know how thing turn out for you. You never said -- how old are you ?
See Ya
Rusty
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi everyone. It has been awhile since I have posted. Almost 6 months. My boyfriend, Tim, had a motorcycle accident on 8/13/03 and had surgery on 12/18/03. It's funny how those dates are engraved in my mind. Well, Tim's physical therapy was stopped in March. We do therapy every single night and then he gets about a 30 minute massage on his neck and shoulder afterwards. (He better marry me after all this. LOL) His shoulder his so strong now. I believe that he has muscle function a little farther down his arm, I can take his arm and push it almost behind his head and he can move me across the floor when he pushes it back down. He also can do like a butterfly push (in toward his body)against my body weight. His feeling is now a little below the elbow.
His last check up with the surgeon was in April and he doesn't want to see him until August or Sept. He also doesn't see the need to start him on physical therapy since we do it faithfully every night. I hope that is good. The doc said he was really impressed and optimistic. Tim only stretched two nerves and when he was hooked up to this machine during surgery his arm was flopping all over the table. I am still not convinced that things will be ok so I still pray every night and work really hard at his exercises and stretching.
I hope all is well with everyone.

hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

Hey joan and rusty how is everything going besides dealing with the nerve pain sonds like you have been thru it all what functions do you have or what have you lost i just use my same baitcasters and reel them in and hold it all with one hand and thats what i love to fish for is bass im 28 yrs old what state are you in i live in kentucky hope to hear from you soon.