Dealing with Chronic Pain

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Dealing with Chronic Pain

Post by Christopher »

jmar wrote:what is a mirror box?
lot's of videos as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0QiGj9eOOw

Phantom Limb with V.S. Ramachandran: (start at 3:15 TBPI case study)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6u4XVr ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpEpj-JgGDI

V.S. Ramachandran, the inventor of the mirror box, is a behavioral neurologist. He wrote a great book called Phantoms of the Brain. It spells out exactly why we experience the pain we do (at least to the best of his understanding), and lots of other mysteries that are quiet incredible in the field of the brain sciences.
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

I bought a mirror box from here:
http://www.reflexpainmanagement.com/

I think someone here (Chris?) posted a review of the product -- it's not bad, but a larger mirror seemed to work better for me. I got one of those $5 tall mirrors from Target, propped it against a TV tray table, and did the exercises that way. The mirror box I bought from the site above was for travel, although it was a bit pricey. I had an OT working with me on this until my insurance benefits ran out for it.

All in all, for me the therapy had some interesting immediate effects, but after 15 min daily for about 4 weeks, I didn't see any longer-term relief except during those 15 min sessions. It's definitely worth a shot since there aren't any meds involved.
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Didn't have avulsions, but I take Lyrica 600mg at night for the nerves. Pain comes and goes during the day. I mostly just deal. I agree with the exercise helping. I can't do much with the upper body anymore but a little so I've gotten back into jogging and lifting weights with the legs in the gym. It helps alot.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
philip
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Gun shot to left shoulder, brachial plexus injury to left arm and hand, all five nerves blown out, Dr Klein and Dr Tiel did the surgery.

Post by philip »

Hi, i would do what ever it takes to help you with the pain, my heart go's out to you, at one time before my surgery i was going to end it. just could not deal with the pain, with my meds i'm dealing with it, the meds gave me my life back, i will pray for you and everyone else on this forum. Philly
s8n

Post by s8n »

truth? :| i smoke pot and it helps. when i'm off it i hurt and want to do nothing and i'm doubled over in pain. a couple one hits i'm up, i'm talkin, i'm hungry, i play video games, and i feel a whole lot better all the way around. read into it however ya want but i know for a fact it works for me. jus my 2 cents ;P
s8n
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

I'm never going to watch the tv show Weeds the same way again, lol :P
gooftwo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: c4,5,6,7 and t1 all avulsed,no left arm movement and fingers twich but no control.Had left arm removed at the shoulder.

Post by gooftwo »

yea I take a couple of hits of pot in the morning it helps me sleep.I've been able to cut down on the neurontin and the ms cotin.I work graveyard.don't like to smoke when my son is around .If anybody needs a few slings I will have no use for mine the end of the month.I've got one of Dan's you will have to get refitted,I'm 6 foot 4 220 and i have two more nice black one's just regular.you pay for shipping.all of them are in nice shape.new nick name is going to be Lefty