Surgery has any one had any success

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Surgery has any one had any success

Post by admin »

Almost 5 years ago, when I was 14, I had a snowboarding accident and the result was a bpi to my right arm, which happened to be my dominant hand. At first, I had no movement in my arm whatsoever. Before doing surgery, my neurologist wanted to wait for nany natural healing to occur. We waited two years, which i still question whether it was too long, and finally met with a surgeon in Boston. By that time, i had regained some movement, but i still couldn't flex my elbow, or extend my wrist or fingers. In July of 2002, I had my first surgery, where they did tendon transfersfor my wrist and fingers. They were also supposed to do a muscle transfer from my thight, but when they cut me open, they saw some scar tissue in the way. They figured maybe removal of the scar tissue would cause reinnervation of my biceps. They also did nerve graft from my left calf to my bicep. That surgery helped me regain wrist and thumb extension, but no bicep flexion. The next year, I went back to Boston and they did a latissimus transfer, where they cut a piece of my latissimus, and tunneled it down my arm all the way to my wrist to act as a bicep. And luckily, it worked and i can now bend my arm. The only big thing missing is finger extension, which will probably never come back. Obviously, my arm is waek and the movents aren't fluid, but it's a lot better than what it was.

Linsy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Almost 5 years ago, when I was 14, I had a snowboarding accident and the result was a bpi to my right arm, which happened to be my dominant hand. At first, I had no movement in my arm whatsoever. Before doing surgery, my neurologist wanted to wait for nany natural healing to occur. We waited two years, which i still question whether it was too long, and finally met with a surgeon in Boston. By that time, i had regained some movement, but i still couldn't flex my elbow, or extend my wrist or fingers. In July of 2002, I had my first surgery, where they did tendon transfersfor my wrist and fingers. They were also supposed to do a muscle transfer from my thight, but when they cut me open, they saw some scar tissue in the way. They figured maybe removal of the scar tissue would cause reinnervation of my biceps. They also did nerve graft from my left calf to my bicep. That surgery helped me regain wrist and thumb extension, but no bicep flexion. The next year, I went back to Boston and they did a latissimus transfer, where they cut a piece of my latissimus, and tunneled it down my arm all the way to my wrist to act as a bicep. And luckily, it worked and i can now bend my arm. The only big thing missing is finger extension, which will probably never come back. Obviously, my arm is waek and the movents aren't fluid, but it's a lot better than what it was.

Linsy
admin
Site Admin

Has anyone hadsurgerbrachial plexis injury

Post by admin »

Has anyone had surgery for severe brachial injury of left arm due to motorcycle accident???
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

my son had nerve graft at womens and childrens
with steve santoreneous in adelaide and within 8 months
he started to get bicept back his bicept is quite strong now and he can hold his arm up out of the way while he plays sport dont know if there is anything more they can do for rest of his arm at this stage.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone hadsurgerbrachial plexis injury

Post by admin »

frank i did my brachial plexus in a motorcross accident when i was 8 i am now nearly 12.ihad nerve graft 2and a half years ago i got bicept movement back within 8 months of op i am due for my next visit
to the doctors in adelaide next month dont know if
they can do anymore for me but i dont want anymore operations as they scare the crap out of me