Anyone out there with a c5, c6, c7 nerve avulsions?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diargasm

Anyone out there with a c5, c6, c7 nerve avulsions?

Post by diargasm »

Hi everyone this is Andre again. I'd just like to know how people with these nerve avulsions are coming around now. How well the surgeries worked & what you are able to do now that you previously could not do.

Anyways, I'm having my c7 cross-neck surgery on May 17th. It's supposed to get me deltoid to work & I already had an operation to get my bicep to work.
herff94

Re: Anyone out there with a c5, c6, c7 nerve avulsions?

Post by herff94 »

Hello~
I am a C5,6 and 7 avulsion. Mayo clinic patient. I had a muscle transfer to give me the ability to bend my arm at the elbow, I have a full working hand. I've had implants put in to "fill out" my arm and shoulder. I was there last yr and they talked about doing more muscle and tendon transfers but I choose not to do it. Good luck to you-
Kathleen H
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

What do you mean by "fill out"? Something with Muscle atrophy? Oh yea and I have one more question. What are the long term affects of bpi? Does the arm get noticably smaller in circumference?
Susana

Post by Susana »

Yes, it does. I think you learn to appreciate that it works. I think the only thing you wish for it is a working arm.
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

That what works?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A working am isn't even on my list- I just want the pain to go away. We are all different in what we want and hope for.
herff94

Post by herff94 »

Hi~
Those last few responses were confusing???
you asked about the implants to "fill out" my arm? My arm got thin very quickly. I had my muscle transfer 5 months from the time of my injury and then I recovered and did PT for 7 months before I went to have expanders (to stretch my skin) put in and they made an implant. Its still in the works, Mayo wants to use a different type of material for the implant that is weightless. Fighting gravity is tough, it keeps slipping off of my shoulder. If your interested I can give you the name of my doctor, he's the only one I know of that does this type of work w/ BPI. And I've seen ALOT of doctors. My injury is 17 yrs old. I was 17 yrs old when it happened.
Kathleen H
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hey i had c5 c6 c7 avulision and had an intercostal nerve graft surgery but still waitin to see i do have a little movment in my shoulder but not much
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

Is there anyway to prevent my arm from getting too thin without implants or a surgical operation?
Susana

Post by Susana »

Yeah. Some times I say the same thin. I can live w/o using my arm, but please pain go away.