Building a Bike

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
punchy sue

Building a Bike

Post by punchy sue »

Hiya Peeps! The weather's turning so nice, and I'm getting antsy because I previously was an extremely active person. Seeing that this is my first Spring with TPBI, I'm looking for activities that are easy on the arm but still physically demanding. I want to build a bike but I don't know where to start. If anyone has a bike that is easily controled with one hand and has a low enough center of gravity to stabilize my balance, I would like to hear from you.
Hope everyone's doing alright. Haven't been on the boards in a while, but I think that's a healthy sigh. Take care!
THANX LOVE SUSAN
Henry

Re: Building a Bike

Post by Henry »

Hey Sue,

I ride a normal bike, but make sure that the back brake is on tyhe side that works and that the gear changers are also on that side. It will take some careful planning but shouldn't be a problem

I use the speed shifters that click into place.

Also have the handlebars set a bit higher so I can sit straighter.

Remove foot harnesses (rat traps) so you can stablize quickly.

Wear a helmet and have fun.

Cheerios,

Henry
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

check the replys on getting back outdoors and look at the websites some are for motorcycle and some are for bycyles
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I modified my bike. I put all the gears on the right side. For the lower gears, I use a grip that changes gears. For the higher gears, I put on a Mountain Bike gear shifter so I can keep my hand on the handlebar and use my thumb to switch the higher gears. I have hand brakes which controls the front and bake breaks. I made the front brake a bit looser so that I don't tumble forward. I prefer roller blading for exercise. Also, my favorite is the foot pedal kayak by Hobie. I picked one up two years ago and love it. http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_mirage.html

Have you thought about one of those Grandma bikes with the 3 wheels ? You could put a little dinger bell on it and some flowered baskets and streamers on the handlebar ? j/k
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Rich, That is such a cool site! I never knew those existed. I would love to test drive one . Think i will be hunting for one of those. Judy
punchy sue

Post by punchy sue »

Rich- funny enough I was considering building a trike. My friend likes to do metal fabrication and has build many a whacked out bikes. Plus he's a tattoo artist, so he paints it up real snazzy. There's just so many ways to go about it- 2 wheels, 3 wheels, smaller tires, beach cruiser or mountain bike, etc. It's going to have to be a mix of everything. Instead of streamers, I'd like to do it up James Bond style, with jet launchers and roman candles. A water gun would probably be safer. And no dinger bell, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it up right. I was thinking of installing a horn from a semi truck and the reverse back-up warner installed on most government trucks. I don't want the flower basket, but maybe I can make a side car for my dog to ride in. She's ten and is having difficulties going on long walks anymore. I'd have to find someone who sells safety helmets for dogs because, I have a feeling it's going to be a little tricky riding at first.
By the way, how do you support your bpi arm when riding?
THANX LOVE SUSAN
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

the velcro system is a problem when you break hard.
you can see this link, and click next. Is about a ortotese for the arm.
Paulo
http://www.geocities.com/paulo_go/bic1.html
dlstone

Post by dlstone »

I ended up getting a recumbent tricycle to replace the bike I was riding when I got hit last summer. Specifically it's a Catrike Road (www.catrike.com). It improves stability but is not perfectly stable. You can tip it over if you turn hard enough at high enough speeds as I proved screaming down a mountain in SW North Carolina this spring. It is modified so both brakes and both thumb shifters are on the right side. I kept individual brakes for both left and right wheels to keep the differential braking that is necessary in certain situations. The problem is applying enough braking power to both brake levers with only one hand. It keeps me off the steep hills where I exceed 40+ mph but we're working on a solution.

I use a pannier with a Camelback reservoir for water and modified a Yakima Hitchfork rack so I can get it off and on the car one handed. Other than that, it works quite well.