need a new name.....

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Karl w/ a K

Re: need a new name.....

Post by Karl w/ a K »

Courtney,
Why not name your arm after your therapist? That way your thertapist can get over their problem with the name thar you choose. Its okay to have some fun, blow off so steam. Just because someone is a doctor doesn't meen they "get it". Check out that article that Liz posted on an earlier thread. Very long, but very good. LOL...Karl...
KGGUNNS

Post by KGGUNNS »

Hi,

I would like to know where this TBPI website is with all the jokes and incidences that have happened. I am quite new to this injury, 3 months now and I have started to joke about my arm because if I don't I'll drive myself into a panicky state. I am referred to as "lefty gunns" now and it is quite hunourous when people hear me called that. I love when people ask me what happened to me. I don't tell them the truth now cause that's too boring. I have either gone parachuting and the chute didn't open and I landed in a tree, or mountain climbing and I fell down the mountain. I love the way people react to me like "OOOOOOHHHH MYYYYYYY GOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD!!!! You're kidding? And I say..... yes. And leave it at that. I'd like to hear the funny stories. Thanks.

Lefty Gunns
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

ask your therapist if she had to live with it what she would call it i bet it would be worse then stupid
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

I spent some time trying to remember not to use any negative words abouit my arm, then realised all the pussy footing around just draws more attention to it-and makes you think about it more, which is not a good thing. I call it whatever comes into my head, which is usually a 2 word phrase, the second word being 'arm'. :0)
Lefty Gunns, the website Courtney's referring to is the tbpi uk one http://tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/index_1.html it's attached to the tbpi message board but there's lots of other stuff on there. The tbpi related cartoons and other stuff are in the section called 'raspberries' (raspberry is rhyming slang.....raspberry ripple...) you have to mail Lizzyb to get the password as unfortunately the cartoons have offended some people in the past when they were displayed on another site....none of the offended people had bpi I might add!
herff94

Post by herff94 »

Okay, this is good one....
My PT told me once that when people say "Whats wronf with your arm?" You just tell them, "You know when you have a bad a hair day? Well, thats what happened with my arm, I woke up one morning and I just couldn't do a thing with it!"
Kath
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My wife and I call my arm "carckie". It is short for carcus. Needless to say, we have a little warped sense of humor. But naming the arm has been great therapy. If we are at a football game or in the snow or if someone bumps into it, she always asks how carckie is doing.

Courtney - I am guessing that you are a Michigan fan ? I would like to say thank you for beating Ohio State so that USC has a shot at the sugar Bowl.

-Rich
KGGUNNS

Post by KGGUNNS »

Hey Kath, that's a good one. I'll have to use that.