need a new name.....

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

need a new name.....

Post by cbe411 »

My shrink has asked me to come up with a new name for my "stupid" arm. She said that is not a POSITIVE way to be thinking. Any suggestions please? Like stupid in another language? THanks guys!
COurt
diargasm

Re: need a new name.....

Post by diargasm »

how about "aboush"? it means stupid in armenian.
admin
Site Admin

Re: new name

Post by admin »

Why don't you call it diputs, cinorom or emal. They're real words spelled backwards and I'm sure your therapist won't catch on. Just make-up a story about it, like it's your gret grandfather's middle name or the name of your first pet. That way you can laugh about it even when your mad.
admin
Site Admin

Re: new name

Post by admin »

Why don't you call it diputs, cinorom or emal. They're real words spelled backwards and I'm sure your therapist won't catch on. Just make-up a story about it, like it's your gret grandfather's middle name or the name of your first pet. That way you can laugh about it even when your mad.
Lorrie

Post by Lorrie »

Well we came up with a couple for my arm but it may not be what the therapist had in mind:-) First when the arm was completely flail and felt like it weighed 100 pounds it was - the leaden object. Next because it felt so soft and without muscle tone when doing therapy in the pool - granny arm. Finding humour has always helped me deal with anything, including my arm. It can really make others uncomfortable at times though. I think I need a new one myself. Good luck
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

I agree with you Lorrie...having a sense of humour about the situation we find ourselves in is a major force in our coping mechanisms, but some people get verrry uncomfortable when you laugh about or make up a jokey name for your arm...I just call mine 'bungarm' which was what my Aussie mate named it from early on, and it's kind of stuck.

Incidently, and please, no-one get mad at me for mentioning this; I have found that the Brits seem to be able to find humour in this situation quicker than you guys from across the pond...but I could be totally wrong...:0) I know some people were appalled at the jokes Jen had up on someone elses website a few years ago; it's one reason why we protect them now behind a password on the TBPI website.

Also, I have to admit that most of our meetings, (which were originally set up to discuss more serious matters...)ended up with us howling with laughter about all sorts of funny situations that we had found ourselves in over the years...and predicting a few more....one day, when I get time I'll put these things up on the website for everYone to read.

Keep laughing ladies...it does everyone a lot of good... :0)

Liz B
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Liz I would have to agree with you about the whole attitude thing! I am comfortable with calling it anything! I personally though the jokes on thne TBPI site that are resrticted are funny as crap! I think over here though it is a differnt world sometimes, hence me coming this summer!YEAH!

My Therapist just thinks that I HSould have a better name for the old thing than STUPID so i was asking for some suggestions and they ahve been great! Thanks to all!

COurt
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Courtney

I just had to put my thoughts in here. I personally call my arm a decoration -- it hangs there fills up my sleeve and at some points if sort of functions. My arm appears better than it functions. I can only say that in front of those who can take it. It seems I have always had a sense of humor about it. If I did not I would not have survived my childhood. My parents and siblings did not find my arm funny and of course as a child and teenager it was difficult with all the questions due to the length and size difference and the inability to function normally. I believe that parents are hard press to see humor in the arm. But you met Judy, Nancy and I and we share a lot of humor about our arms. My family find it so difficult now that I got a handicap parking they were so upset because they do not view me as disabled...duh they don't get it! They never realized how one handed I am and thought it was no big deal because I handled it so well and they really can't cope with the fact that I am talking about my arm in front of them and making jokes. They better get use to it because I intend to continue and be comfortable.
I think we adults both obpi/tbpi develop a great sense of humor about our arms or we would just dwell on what we can't do as opposed to looking at all we can do and enjoying some of the sill nonsense we put up with along the way...

Ok.. I dumped a tray in a museum the other day because I did not know where my arm was... stuff happens...

It makes "others" uncomfortable when they hear us speak about our arms... they assume we are not dealing with it... instead they are the ones not dealing. Humor is a great healer and you can name your arm what ever you want. I assume that they are trying to heal your body image and self esteem. Part of good self-esteem is accepting yourself as you are right now.

Kath
Karen Hillyer

Post by Karen Hillyer »

Courtney
hoswabout Mary? or Lulu? or Cindy?

sorry, that's my ironic British humour coming out again!!
I must admit if I had a therapist who said that to me, I would act like a two year old, stamp my foot and tell her that " it's my arm and I'll call it what I WANT to !!!!"
glad you see the funnier side!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Courtney,
If you want to have some fun, give your arm your therapist name. Then your therapist might be able to get past their problem with the name you give your arm.LOL...Karl...