sleeping issues

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
punchy sue

sleeping issues

Post by punchy sue »

No matter how hard I try, I can never find a comfortable position to sleep in. I don't get much sleep, as I've heard is common. I'm so grumpy all the time I feel so sorry for people who have to be around me. Another thing, when I hear people complaining about their problems( headaches, back aches,colds, etc.) I just want to yell at them "At least you have two working arms and you don't have nerve pain 24/7". I have never been a vindictive person and I really don't even know who I am anymore. If only I could find that one position to sleep in where my arm and hand would be comfortable. I truly beleive my lack of sleep is negatively affecting my attitude. Any suggestions?
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: sleeping issues

Post by cbe411 »

Good question! I feing that sleeping on my right side, my BPI side, helps.. I sleep with my right arm bent and kinda around my neck, if you can picture this. THe pressure on my shoulder feels good too! I also sleep on my stomach with my arms under my pillow (I have great ROM). Took some time to do this but now its great! Trying to slep in a posotion close to the one that you used to sleep in will help I think, my personal opinion! Good luck!
Courtney
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HI sue my name is todd i kown what you mean.I have been going thourgh this for over a year and a half,and it has taking me along time to get used to sleeping good. there are still nights that I don't sleep at night like last night.the thing that helps me is going to the gym and geting in the wirlpool in the hot water.no body can till you how to do it,you just have to keep at it.It will get better don't give up I kown it bits alot.hang in there,i'm trying to get my frist surgury ever so don't give in.take care sue: God Bless Toddxoxo
Henry

Post by Henry »

Hi Sue,
I support the stump/shoulder with a bunch of bedding when I'm on my back or sleep on the bpi side.

On bad nights I sleep on a futon couch lucked into the slope so my arm and shoulder are supported. The pressure aleviates the pain and I can get some sleep.

The lack of sleep is a real problem, and I doubt that I've slept a night through in 20 years. You learn to cope and to catch up when you can. I've started to take naps when the opportunity presents itself and that helps. I also keep up my exercise so that I'm physically tired.

Sleeping pills make me feel stupid, but I did try St. John's Wort and it had some success for about 6 months and then stopped working.

Hope this helps.

Hwnry

punchy sue

Post by punchy sue »

Thanx for the sugestions. i can sleep on my belly with my arm under a pillow and my head on top of the pillow. Sleep only last @ 3 hours, and it is so hard to get back to it fully. I stay in semi-sleep land where I am dreaming but I can also feel the pain in my arm. That leads to messed up dreams.
I'm really scared when I go back home where I share a bed with my boyfriend. That's going to be difficult on both of us. I might have to reserve my sleeping hours to after he goes to work. I am planning on being employed again at some point, but my previous job was as a massage therapist and before that, a chef. I wish there was a sleeping pill out there that worked for BPI people!
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Hey try asking your doctor about a sleeping pill. He might be able to prescribe something that will just help you to sleep. I am not taking any pain pills these day but I will tell you a secret! I have a bottle of vicodin, I take a pill once in a while and I sleep like a bay and feel like a million bucks in the morning. Just a thought! gOOD LUCK AGAIN!
cOURTNEY
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Hi Susan, see if you can get a script for one of the tricylclic antidepressants like ametriptylene (Amitril, Elavil) or nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor)

Don't be worried about the word 'antidepressant'...some commonly used medications for neuro pain are drugs that were developed to control other conditions. Among these are tricyclic antidepressants. Apart from relieving the symptoms of depression, these drugs interfere slightly with certain chemical processes in your brain that cause you to feel pain. They also make you very drowsy, so try not to take them during the day, and DEFinitely not with alcohol!!

The Drs normally prescribe very small doses of this stuff for neuro pain, not the higher doses required for depression. It will help you sleep at night, especially if you only take them at night...they did help me for a long while until I couldn't tolerate the side effects anymore, but thats another story! They can be physically addictive, so think of it as a short term solution.

I don't normally advise people to take stuff like this, but if it helps you get a good nights sleep, it can't hurt. Getting a decent nights sleep is so important with these injuries. Have you thought about asking on the TBPI Group boards about this?

Best wishes
Liz B :0)

Eric

Post by Eric »

i usually sleep on my limp arm in sort of a fetal position w/ a couple pillows... doesnt quite stop the shooting pain that makes me jump up and walk around.. but any other way is an impossibility
hahaha as for backaches/headaches etc.... i dont think ive felt any pain besides the burn since it started... i dont know what "normal" pain is like anymore
cbe411

Post by cbe411 »

Hi ERIC! Glad to see ya on here, how are things going??
COurtney
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Hi Eric and Courtney

Now wonder everyone was up so late at camp. I am the world's worst sleeper. I never slept as a child nor as an adult... just can't find comfortable spot.. I am right OBPI and I sleep on the right side with my arm curled up just as you do Courtney and one of the little one's at camp told me he does the same thing.... I wonder if it's a bpi thing...

Eric glad to see you posting....

Give my regards to both of your mothers... I enjoyed meeting them.

Kath