School Update: They want her excluded from all recess!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
danar

Re: School Update: They want her excluded from all recess!

Post by danar »

francine,
my sister's little boy just started kindergarten and was having other problems but the teacher was very insistant that he should not be in kindergarten yet. My sister talked with the principal about possibly changing teachers since this one was not that willing to work with him and that she insisted he should wait another year. The principal was shocked to hear that the teacher said that. Well within two days he was moved to a new teacher and things are already looking better. Just thought this could be an option for you.
Hope things get better for the both of you.
Dana
shava

Post by shava »

Francine:

Being a teacher (a special education teacher)I know that a parent really has final say in anything about their child. Taking away recess has never been an option for a kid, unless they were harming other children. You have the final say and I think they are just worried about her getting hurt (the liability issue does factor in). You are going to have to be the one to say that she WILL go to recess. All kids need recess!!!!!!!!! I have even seen kids read books at recess, but I like the ball idea you had. Go talk to the teacher and tell her that Mia will be going to recess-end of story.

Take care,
Shava
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Francine,
Just wanted to bring this forward and ask how recess is going for Maia?

This is such an important issue, and I am hoping everything is resolved.

Gwen
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Now that her teacher knows that I'm "observing" - things seems to be going better for Maia. It's obvious that Maia's happier - she tells me (on the days I don't go there) that she is going outside and playing. I have been seeing a larger group of kids in the small playground with her... so half of her class is actually joining her now - which is fabulous.

One day I went earlier to pick Maia up for an early therapy session and saw Maia eating her snack. She was given chocolate milk! and she is allergic to it! So I asked the teacher about it and she told me that "chocolate milk" was NOT on her allergy list.... but I pointed out that chocolate was the #2 item on the list. Helllllooooo? anybody home??? She had hives that night and I had a talk with Maia about asking what things are before eating or drinking them. The teacher yelled at me - that Maia should have said "NO" to the chocolate milk...then I reminded her that Maia has never seen chocolate milk so how would she have known what it was??? So now I am wondering if I should introduce Maia to all the foods she is allergic to and show her all the forms it comes in... what do you think?

I took a writer's workshop so that I could learn the program that the kids are using in school - I'll be a writer's assistant 3X a week for an hour.... that should be fun.

That teacher's going to have to get used to having me around I guess! hahaha

one day at a time.... and I feel so much more secure now that I have the IDEA regulations and know that they have to abide by them!

-francine
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, my opinion is this....the teacher has been teaching too long....time for a long awaited retirement.....somewhere far away. I hope things are going better.....Gayle mom of Brandon 5 year old with ROPBI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Francine,
I'm glad that she is happier, and is able to be with her friends. Trevor was excluded from gym for three weeks last year and it was very hard on him.

About the chocolate milk thing. The teacher should be aware of food allergies, and make sure they are not available to children with allergies. When children have severe allergies in my children's school, none of the children are allowed that item in their lunches or recess snacks. A mistake could be fatal, and we all know that everytime someone with a food allergy is exposed again and again to the particular allergen, the risk of an anaphylactic reaction increases. Are they willing to take that chance? They should err on the side of caution. Although it's a good idea for Maia to know what her allergies are, she is not old enough to know every item that contains chocolate. Is she supposed to read all listed ingredients on food items at her age. I think the teacher needs to take some responsiblity here, and not sluff it off on your daughter.

Good for you for volunteering in her class, and so glad she is happy!
Gwen
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

the big problem lyn is that I HAVE to educate them about Maia's particular stuff because she is post surgery and IS high risk for dislocation.... I educated them so that no one would FORCE her into doing something she just couldn't do. I didn't want to risk her shoulder again - she was re-injured at summer camp last summer and that was devastating... so it's not the typical bpi scenerio.

I think that as long as "I" can become an asset to the classroom - I have volunteered for many things - that they might take a different approach. Of course - who knows for me what the big picture is at this moment.... in the meantime things did change for the better a bit and she's creating new friendships and she LOVES school- not depressed about it anymore. I think she would hate me if I pulled her out...I keep on checking in with her to see what she's feeling and she LIKES the teacher!!! so something must be going right somehow!

Maia is not allowed to eat any school food. She brings her own lunch and brings her own snack (3 others in the class room do also so she's not the only one). and I've asked the teacher to tell me when a mom will bring in a treat for the kids so that I can contact the mom find out what the treat is and make sure that Maia can have an alternate or the same thing - but I'll just be the one to provide it. I figure I'm going to bake some cupcakes and frost them and keep them in the freezer!!

-francine