Informal poll for adult obpi's - from a mom

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
JaimeC

Informal poll for adult obpi's - from a mom

Post by JaimeC »

Hi, Perhaps this has been asked before, but I was wondering if the adult obpi's on this board would share with me what their chosen careers are and if your bpi affected your choice. As a mom, I've wondered about this for my son, who is 7. If you could also share with me if you have use of your bpi hand or not.
Thanks so much!
Jaime
jep98056

Re: Informal poll for adult obpi's - from a mom

Post by jep98056 »

Jaime:
I think you've raised an excellent question. My parents worked very hard and made considerable sacrifices to ensure that I achieved the maximum possible recovery from my injury. I'll be forever grateful to them. However, I often wonder what they felt the future held for me as an adult.

When I was in high school, I found part time work as a janitor (it paid more than a box boy at the supermarket). Working over my head was difficult and sometimes I needed help with lifting and using the heavy floor scrubbers. I realized then that my injury would impact the type of work I could do after high school. So, I focused on going to college and ultimately decided on a career in engineering. I retired as a senior engineer after 36 very rewarding years in the aerospace industry.

I think that key to your child's future as an adult is to obtain the education and training that will enable him to lead a productive life. Indeed, his maximum possible recovery won't be complete until then.

John P.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

See my mesage under name Master diver tom April 30,If you have any qestions just ask I will try to help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello:

I am 31 & I am a credit manager. I would of loved to become a nurse. The only reason I couldn't is because of the extra strength I needed in my right arm that is effected by Erb's Palsy. My grip/strength is not good at all. I have 2 children that are 8 & 11 that I had no problem with when they were little doing the mommie thing. Your child will be fine. My parents worked with me when I was little & gave me the confidence I needed. I still have problems now & would like to find a doctor to go to. Good luck
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

I was a hairstylist up until about a year ago. I decided to quit because I wasn't making that much money. However I still did it at home on the side. Just recently has my arm started to bother me more that now I can hardly hold a comb in my hand on my left side. When I did hair I always did tend to lean over to one side and my arm hurt like h***. But, I suffered through the pain due to the fact that no one thought I would be able to do it. I of course had to prove them wrong!!! Now I'm going back to school!! I really think anything is possible as long as you do not limit your child. I think in my time sports was the biggest issue for me. I couldn't dribble a basketball with that hand, or I would hit the volleyball and it would go flinging the other way because my arm wouldn't straighten. Those things probably affected me more so than anything. Now theres some hope!!
Good luck to you
Rachel
Michelle_16

Post by Michelle_16 »

hi there

I am going to university to be a music teacher(after a stuggle with entries). I play the tenorhorn and the piano, these have been a great source of therapy for me i think. the only thing is now that i can really get surgery or anythin major bcos i really cant have the recovery time with out havin to practise and uni will b starting in October. Apart from that i dont think you should hold ur kid back cos he'll figure out what he can and cant do on his own

Michelle x
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi Jamie

I am 46 and have been retired for 2 years now (overuse syndrome), but before that I sold Insurance for 15 years. Before that I worked in the food industry. Everything from slinging french fries to managing an upscale rest. In between those jobs I went canoeing lived life and with my husband built a 2 story garage and an addition to our home and a wrap around deck as well.
So you see............as my parents use to tell me "Your only as handicapped as YOU want to be" :) He will choose what is best for himself when the time comes, trust me. We all did. Oh I forgot to mention that I am Bilateral bpi (affects both arms). So stop fussing and worrying and start enjoying life with your son!!! These things all work themselves out
Mel4fitness

Post by Mel4fitness »

Hi Jaime,
I am a manager of a health club and also a personal trainer. With training clients I am limited on some exercises but there are plenty to do. I started out selling health club meemberships before getting into management. My mentality growing up was this, if I'm in good shape then the boys wouldn't notice my arm. This "silly" outlook has created a life of good health & fitness. I felt that fitness was a good career path because it is a passion of mine. I'm sure your son will be just fine with his career choices.
Melanie
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Hello!
I'm 52 years old and have a left OBPI.
I've worked in a county library for the past 28 years.
When I was younger, I was able to move the heavy material around allot easier. Now I'm about to start work at a smaller branch library and have been agonizing over how I'm going to get the DVD's out of the security cases with one hand.
I'm sure I'll find my own way to do that, but if I could do it all over again, I'd get myself a college education and do a job that only required my brain, the phone, and a keyboard!
I've had a very good career working for civil service all of these years, though, and I'm most grateful for it.
-Stephanie