Topomax

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
DOPOMAX

Re: TOPOMAX and Muscle Jerking Anyone?

Post by DOPOMAX »

Given that my new user name is DOPOMAX, you can only guess what Topomax has done to my smarts! I have taken Topomax 25 mg, 2 times a day for migraines and cervicogenic headaches. I like Topomax because it does work to control my headaches however I have noticed what I think is a strange side affect to the drug. I have not heard of anyone else with this problem. My problem is that I have constant body jerking. It started shortly after trying to stop the drug. So I quickly went back on it. The jerking started from my toes and worked its way up to my legs, truck, arms and now head. I have not stopped taking Topomax but am concerned about the constant Jerking. Anyone else experience this with Topomax. PLEASE RESPOND
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hey guys i thought i already made a reply to this but i dont see it listed so i must have done something wrong but this topomax is that a generic name or is that the orignal name and what is it supposed to treat im on neurotin for my nerve pain and maxed out and i dont think it is working and when i mentioned it to my doctor he didnt know what it was and suggested it was a generic name for something else just curious im ready to try something else thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was taking Nuerontin for 8 months for severe pain (all over my body) after a car accident and had many side effects. Many too numerous to mention, but I too did gain alot of weight. After awhile I wanted to come off the Neurontin because I felt it was not helping me any longer so my Pain Neurologist suggested I try Topomax. I was on 900mg. of Neurontin and had to cut down l00mg. every day to 0 and that was awful. There were days when I felt I couldn't get off a chair because of such muscle weakness. It's now 3 weeks of being on Topamax. The first week I started with 1 pill 25mg. 1x a day for l week. The second week 1 pill a.m. and l pill p.m total 50mg. The third week (now) 2 pills a.m. 2 pills p.m. l00mg. The first week I was very weak. I still have pain (some days are a little better than others) I have tingling in the hands, dry mouth, I feel a little thinner (good) I did find that I forgot where I was going for a minute (not good) We'll see... I will give this a chance. I know the body has to give this a chance too. Good Luck to you.
admin
Site Admin

Topomax for weight loss?

Post by admin »

I have tried everything to lose weight and can't. Would anyone recommend me taking this in order to lose weight? Please let me know asap
admin
Site Admin

Topomax for weight loss?

Post by admin »

Does topomax jusr supress your appetite or does it really speed up your metabolism to lose weight?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax

Post by admin »

MY doctor put me on this because of my anxiety and bipolar i am also on another anxiety medication and have already had problems with memory loss ,mind racing.My anxiety started getting worse and they increased the dose to 200mg a day plus i take 200mg of lamictal.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am trying to find out some information on topomax, my doctor recently has put me on this to control my bi-polar disorder and I have found that the side effects aren't so bad, but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of a sunburn like feeling to the face as a side effect? my face sometimes at night feels like it's on fire, sometimes I also find that I can't find the right word for a sentence or my mind seems slow. Along with the occasional headache. I'm worried because I have only been on this medication for 5 days. I have already lost 10 pounds which I am hoping is water weight, if so, that is still alot of weight to lose in a short amount of time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax - additional side effects

Post by admin »

i did have the flu like symptoms like you mentioned, but that only lasted about a week or two. I decided to take the meds at night, so the feeling was at night instead of the day. That seemed to work for me. I get the tingle sensation and weight loss. Feeling stupid at time. Loss of train of thought, but not as bad as i used to. I've been on it for about 6 months. I've been started out slow. I'm still taking it. I haven't had the migraines like i did. I might get one hear and there. But i can honestly say that i havent had on in 3 or 4 months and i was getting them daily.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

i had bouts of crying for no reason and was sleeping all the time. so i quit taking it. but, then, of course, my migraines came back.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ive been on topomax for about three weeks now, my doctor put my dose up to 50 mg a day and I guess it goes up from there gradually. which is the fearful part only because of the side effects at this point. I can handle everything except for the part where I feel stupid..i must say tho that the symptoms aren't as bad. I feel that they are getting better with time as it continues and as the days go by, even with the extra 25 mg's a day I think my body is adjusting well. I'm not sure I can say I'd do so well with much more, even tho the doctor has plans to increase to 200 a day. I don't know how i'll function.