Hello Everyone, LBPI in Kansas City

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
stevel
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI to left (dominant) arm. Hang Gliding accident on July 6, 2014. No surgery yet. I can grip and twist forearm. No upper arm function yet...

Hello Everyone, LBPI in Kansas City

Post by stevel »

Hello,
My name is Steve Longmeyer and I live in Pleasant Hill, MO which is about 45 minutes southeast of downtown Kansas City, MO. I have always loved to fly and have had a lot of success doing so over the last decade or so. Can’t really afford to fly airplanes anymore and started flying hang gliders about four years ago. On July 6th of 2014 I went for my 5th flight on a several day flying trip to Buffalo Mountain, OK and stalled my glider about 60 feet from the mountainside. So basically, I free fell into the side of a mountain suffering a left BPI along with three piece clavicle fracture, broken nose, broken eye socket, torn ligaments in right wrist and knocked fully unconscious. I have absolutely no idea why I am still alive with the minimal injuries I sustained having fallen that far. I was life flighted to Washington Regional hospital in Fayetteville, AR and after a few days was sent home. Clavicle repaired on August 6th with a plate and eight screws by orthopedic surgeon near home. I was fortunate to be referred to neurosurgeon at St. Lukes in Kansas City who determined after only 2 ½ months that I needed to go to Mayo clinic. I have had my initial consult visit with Dr. Spinner, Dr. Bishop, and Dr. Shin. The testing they performed has shown ventral and dorsal avulsion of C6, C7,C8 as well as ventral T1. I am scheduled for pre-operative consult January 15th. I’m a bit concerned about being 6 ½ months out, but I’m told there is just no way to be seen any sooner for surgery. I am hopeful that I am offered some good options when January rolls around and I can have some surgeries to restore some function. Right now, I have a fair amount of hand function and I can supinate my forearm and that is about it. Oh, I have wrist flexion. I thought about getting second opinion from Dr. Susan Mackinnon, but alas, my insurance would consider it out of network and I really doubt I’d get in sooner than Mayo. I’m not sure that the money spent would yield a more favorable outcome. It’s just that St. Louis is quite a bit closer and we have relatives closer to St. Louis. I also read a lot of good things about her abilities. Well, that’s about it for now, I have mostly a positive outlook except for the days I am crying my eyes out. Maybe it’s the Gabapentin? :D
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Hello Everyone, LBPI in Kansas City

Post by jmar »

Dr McKinnon is pretty good at getting people in quickly. If I had an issue with my arm I was usually scheduled within two weeks. She is a very good dr. Some say she has a bad bedside manner but I dont see that at all.hope you have a very successful surgery wherever you go.
axman

Post by axman »

Hi, this is axman. It sounds like your definitely lucky
To be alive. I was in a logging accident in 06 and had
My surgery about 6 months later. I avulsed my c-7,
c-8 and t-1 nerves. I had no arm movement at all
Just a little shoulder movement. I had the doctor's you
Mentioned at Mayo clinic do a c-5 graft to scavical
nerve and axillary, c-6 grafted to radial nerve, inner
Costal to mcn and free muscle to spinal accessory.
Was a 14 hour surgery, I'm glad I had it done. I can use
It a little bit. Still have pain though and probably for rest
Of life. Take medication for that. But your in good hands
With them three doctors. Keep me posted. I'm sorry
About spelling and still learning how to do all computer
Stuff.
stevel
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI to left (dominant) arm. Hang Gliding accident on July 6, 2014. No surgery yet. I can grip and twist forearm. No upper arm function yet...

Post by stevel »

So we are getting in the car tomorrow and driving the 7 hours to Rochester. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little anxious. Pre-operative consult Thursday (1/15/15) and surgery on Friday (1/16/15). I'll try and update when the dust settles...
stevel

Post by stevel »

Oh, and by the way Axman, of all the things in this world to be sorry for, spelling shouldn't be one of 'em. I hope you are finding life after injury. I'm only 6 months into this and I am sick and tired of people asking me if I'm alright. After a while it makes you wonder if there is something wrong with you! Thank you for the encouragement, and I hope you continue to improve all of the time. I'd be interested in knowing your age at time of injury and if you think it hindered your progress. I'm 45 now, but my wife would tell you I act like a 12 year old so I'm hoping that works in my favor...