What kind of person would I be without OBPI

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

What kind of person would I be without OBPI

Post by ASC »

I have asked myself this question many times in my life. Imagine two normal (and I use the term as a generalization) arms.
Would I be the same as I am today? A very self-sufficient person with many abilities and a positive attitude towards life. I show compassion and empathy towards others with or without BPI. I celebrate each and everyday above the ground. Moreover, I like whom I am as a person. I live a life that I only have known all of my years. Compared to TBPI, which, in itself is life changing. I have never known the gift of being able to be an athlete or just to be able to utilize both arms at 100%. However, throughout my process of adjusting to my daily my daily life, I have been very surprised at what I can do with ROBPI. There is a saying that a broken clock is correct two times of the day...so never give up on anyone.

Tony (ASC)
ROBPI/Adult
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: What kind of person would I be without OBPI

Post by richinma2005 »

A positive outlook in life will bring many things to you. My daughter 16, robpi says she wouldn't change her injury. It has helped mold and develop who she is. She would likely give up the pain of course, but she is a strong, empathetic young woman with a bright future. I'm proud of who she is.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I strongly believe I'd be a 75 year old cranky Librarian and have beautiful teeth too. ;)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75+++++
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Without OBPI, I would not be me. I am strong minded, determined, positive person because I had to be to function at all. OBPI children have two constant companions, one is challenge the other is frustration. From a very early age we learn to deal with challenges because everything we attempt to do is a challenge and we have to creatively conquer all obstacles . We deal with frustrations long before we are mature enough to handle them. I feel that is why so many of the adult OBPI have really good sense of humor. I would not change anything at this point in my life. Because I am OBPI I've met so many wonderful people, via UBPB, many who truly are dear friends today. My view of the world is broader and my compassion has no limits. Being OBPI was not the focus of my life. It did not stop me from anything I truly wanted to do, it limited me in many areas but everyone has limits. Because I am OBPI I attempted and conquered so many thing that others thought I would never be able to do. A positive outlook is very important. We could sit back and have pity parties or realize that everyone has challenges and we are no different.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi