How successful is a hand tendon transfer?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
johnmetalman
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: hit by car november 26 07 operated on oct 08 ruptured radial nerve with sural grafts and nerve transfer of median to radial in forearm. radial nerve has some recovery all other nerves are intact.

How successful is a hand tendon transfer?

Post by johnmetalman »

Has anyone had a tendon transfer that did alot of good for them? Im just curious if its worth it and it doesn't make your hand weaker considering they sacrifice a healthy muscle when doing this. If someone could describe the pros and cons of their experience that would be great.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: How successful is a hand tendon transfer?

Post by Carolyn J »

FYI John, someOBPI children, teens and adults have had tendon hand transfers. Many OBPI FOLK don't come to your TBPI Forum. I suggest you post your question on the "General Forum".

Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
johnmetalman
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: hit by car november 26 07 operated on oct 08 ruptured radial nerve with sural grafts and nerve transfer of median to radial in forearm. radial nerve has some recovery all other nerves are intact.

Post by johnmetalman »

Thanks for the advice.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

i had a tendon transfer to my hand. i went from not being able to touch any of my fingers to to my thumb, could not pick up anything with my left hand and could not raise my arm above chest level.......to being able to make a soft fist, drink a soft drink with my left hand, put my hand on top of my head, pick up light objects. my fingers are still partially paralyzed. i can not move them side to side at all but i can make a soft fist. can touch 3 of my fingers with my thumb. i still have a lot of numbness. but as much as i got back because of the surgery, the lingering effects may be irritating, but i am EXTREMELY happy with the results.
worldbabin
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injury 2/11/2009, Sural nerve transfer and tendon transfer at Mayo Clinic

Post by worldbabin »

My hand did not work at all. One tendon transfer to my thumb and a second connecting one muscle to the four finger tips made it possible for me hold my yogurt cup while I spoon yogurt out; to pinch a wad of cash between my thumb and index finger, while counting some out for a cafeteria cashier; and made the hand a useful helper for so many simple activities.
johnmetalman

Post by johnmetalman »

Nice. Your notion definitley seems to sway towards the positive. My bpi hand has grip but no finger extention and wrist drop so im hoping a tendon transfer will help. Thanks for the info Jmar.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

hope you have a very successful surgery. if it even goes half as well as mine did you will be doing well. i have a chicken wing elbow now. lol.
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Post by alheim »

johnmetalman wrote:Nice. Your notion definitley seems to sway towards the positive. My bpi hand has grip but no finger extention and wrist drop so im hoping a tendon transfer will help. Thanks for the info Jmar.
Pretty much the same for me: I have grip but no extension, and wrist drop. I won't be making a decision anytime too soon (it's still too soon to tell how my recovery goes), but a tendon transfer could be in my future. I'm about the same age as you with the same BPI situation. Have you had any further thoughts or come across any new knowledge regarding your potential tendon transfer?
jmar

Post by jmar »

do not wait too long to have a tendon transfer. i had no choice but to wait 14 months. if it would have been any longer,the surgery would not have been possible due to muscle deterioration. my muscle had already turned to fat and the surgery had to be changed from a nerve release to a nerve transpositon due to lack of muscle tissue. and you wont get any of that muscle back. ever.
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Post by alheim »

Thanks jmar. But, in the case of a tendon transfer, why would a muscle deteriorate? Aren't you only moving the attachment point of an existing & working muscle to a new spot, so that it serves a new function, rather than attempting to reinnervate a deinnervated muscle, as is done in a nerve graph or nerve transfer?