SSD/SSI information current.

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

SSD/SSI information current.

Post by Kath »

Hi:
A few years ago I was one of the representatives who attended the Social Security meeting to update the blue book. At that meeting we met one of the Chief Adjudicating Judges and explained our issues with obpi and the problems we face qualifying for ssd/ssi.
He requested a change, to the Blue Book, at that meeting to cover the needs and circumstance of bpi injury. Shortly after we received a link to the follow information. I could not get the link I have to work so I copied all the information on the POMS... I hope this helps those looking for information on how to apply for SSD/SSI. Applying was always a problem because we were not "labeled" disables as children/newborns. When I applied I had a hard time to retire at 62... This code is the one that should be used by SS to determine eligibility for both obpi and tbpi.
Good Luck
Kath

This is the link but not sure if it will work... I had to bypass my computers Security system to do it.
https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/POMS.NSF/lnx/0424580030

Social Security Online
POMS Section: DI 24580.030

www.socialsecurity.gov
Search Previous | Next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effective Dates: 09/15/2005 - Present
TN 4 (09-05)

DI 24580.030 Information about Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPI)
A. Background
Most of the following information on brachial plexus injuries (BPI) was originally prepared in collaboration with the United Brachial Plexus Network (UBPN), and presented in a Factsheet that was distributed in an administrative message. This information pertains primarily to infant birth injuries, however, much of it is also relevant to adults and older children who sustain BPI injuries. For more detailed information about BPI, and the latest developments in this specialized field of medicine, visit the UBPN website at ubpn.org and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke’s BPI page at http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brac ... plexus.htm.

B. Information about Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPI)
1. General
The brachial plexus is a network of nervous tissue that organizes sensory and motor messages going to the upper body trunk and extremities from the central nervous system. It is composed of nerve fibers from the last four cervical and first thoracic spinal nerves. Fibers of the various spinal nerves are combined within the plexus to form the multiple peripheral nerves that innervate the upper chest wall, the diaphragm, the shoulder, and the arm and hand. Injury to the brachial plexus can result in complete or partial sensory and/or motor impairment. Bilateral injuries can occur.

2. Causes of Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPIs)
Injuries can occur at any age, but most often occur during the birth of large infants, when traction is applied to the infant’s head during delivery. Stretching without the tearing of nerve fibers may result in a temporary loss of motor and/or sensory function (neurapraxia). When nerve fibers are torn, or avulsed (usually at the site of exit from the spinal canal), permanent motor and sensory loss may result. Sometimes torn nerve root fibers will begin to grow in an abnormal pattern and produce a benign tumor (neuroma). A neuroma can be painful and may block the proper reconnection of nerve root fibers.

Brachial plexus injuries can also occur during motor vehicle accidents, sport mishaps, and falls. On occasion, penetrating injuries to the brachial plexus occur during acts of violence. The extent of the initial functional loss depends on both the number of nerve fibers injured and the severity of the injury to the fibers.

3. Most Common Types of BPIs
Injuries to the upper brachial plexus affect the shoulder and upper arm (Erb’s palsy) and spare the hand. These injuries are the most common and have the best prognosis because most of these injuries are related to nerve fiber stretching (neurapraxis) rather than tearing (avulsion or rupture).

Injuries to the lower brachial plexus affect the forearm and hand (Klumpke’s Palsy). These injuries have a worse prognosis.

Extensive injuries that involve the entire plexus result in anesthesia and total paralysis of the hand, arm, shoulder and the diaphragm and chest wall musculature on the side of the injury. Such injuries have the poorest prognosis.

Most of the recovery from a BPI occurs during the first three months post injury. BPI may occur in combination with other injuries or impairments. Other medical terms that might be found in medical reports describing BPI include: Erb’s Palsy (upper plexus injury), Klumpke’s Palsy (lower plexus injury), Brachial Plexus Palsy (BPP), Erb-Duchenne Palsy, Horner’s Syndrome (when sympathetic fibers are affected), and “Burners” or “Stingers” (usually associated with sports-related injuries).

4. Occurrence Rate of BPI
Generally, it is believed there are about 2-3 newborns with BPI per 1,000 births, but due to the limitations of the current reporting systems designed to monitor injuries, such as BPI, it is only possible to give “ballpark” figures. Changes in obstetrical practice toward the more rigorous use of Caesarean Section delivery have been directed toward reducing the incidence of BPI.

5. Treatment Options
The evaluation and treatment of BPI varies with the cause of the injury. When spontaneous recovery is not noted within the first few weeks following an injury sustained during delivery, it is essential that a medical professional who specializes in treating BPI be consulted. When spontaneous improvement does not result during the first three months post injury, significant functional recovery usually is not expected despite aggressive physical therapy and surgery. Early treatment most likely will include occupational and/or physical therapy to help maximize use of the affected arm while preventing contractures. If there is no evidence of improvement in function by the age of 4-6 months, further evaluation to address the potential for a surgical repair may be indicated. The clinical recovery noted following the initial surgery determines the need for other surgical procedures. The evaluation and treatment of other types of traumatic BPI usually proceed at a more rapid pace because such injuries are more commonly associated with the severance of nerve fibers. Maximizing functional use of the injured area is generally the overall goal of affected individuals, families and medical professionals.

C. Policy
1. Disability
Like any medically determinable impairment, BPI can be disabling if it is sufficiently severe. Because BPI usually affects only one upper extremity, the condition ordinarily does not fulfill SSA’s disability severity requirements. Children with particularly severe BPI injuries (e.g., bilateral BPI), or BPI together with another impairment(s), can be found disabled. Some children with BPI will have various limitations in their ability to: put on or remove shirts/jackets, socks, shoes, tie a shoe, maneuver a zipper or button, pull their pants up/down, hold a piece of paper down so they can write, wear winter gloves (they fall off due to no hand movement), potty train, use bathroom facilities without assistance, wash hair, clasp bra, sharpen pencils, participate in two-handed activities in school and in physical education class, buckle or unbuckle seat belts that require two hands, floss teeth, cut fingernails, apply deodorant, style hair, open milk containers, boxes or jars, cut meat, squeeze toothpaste onto a toothbrush, carry anything requiring two hands, or scratch the side of the body.

2. BPI and Pain
Brachial plexus injuries may result in a chronic pain syndrome despite the fact that there is reduced sensation in the affected area. Pain is less commonly associated with birth injuries. Areas with diminished sensation are at risk for further injury, such as burns and/or pressure sores.

3. Documentation
First and foremost, as with any childhood impairment, it is critical to have complete medical records that show not only medical findings but also describe the child’s development and functioning. In addition to their local treating source, children may have medical or surgical evaluations, occupational therapy or surgical procedures in facilities outside their home state.

It is also important to obtain information from medical sources AND family members about the child’s progress in achieving milestones. This is especially important in evaluating any child who is under age 3. The degree of success in achieving developmental milestones, together with the effects of BPI, may be critical in evaluating the functional effects on any child. If the evidence of record does not give this information, contact the child’s treating physician and family members to obtain it.

If medical and other evidence indicate there may be other injuries or problems, obtain information about any other impairment and its effects on functioning. It is imperative to consider the combined effect of all impairments when assessing functional limitations. Also, if other impairments are involved, remember to consider additional appropriate listings. As always, if evidence of record does not provide sufficient information to assess severity, consider a consultative examination.

4. Listings Most Likely to Apply
For a bilateral BPI, listing 111.06, Motor dysfunction (due to any neurological disorder) may apply. Because this listing states that the dysfunction must involve two extremities, 111.06 is not applicable to unilateral BPIs.

Listing 101.08, Soft tissue injuries of an upper or lower extremity could also be considered. Surgery may be needed in BPI, and the child may undergo multiple procedures and other associated treatments related to restoration of functional use of the extremity. The usual circumstance is that a procedure is done and function is reassessed at the appropriate time. If return of function is still not considered adequate, another procedure is considered. For injuries sustained at birth, nerve surgery is most effective when done between ages 5 and 12 months, and is usually not as successful after 1 year of age. When nerve surgery is not successful, then muscle transplant surgery may help restore some function.

Also, if other impairments are involved, consideration must be given to additional appropriate listings. As in all childhood cases, the total impact of any one impairment or a combination of impairments on the child’s ability to function in all age-appropriate areas must be considered.

5. If the Impairment Does Not Meet or Medically Equal a Listing
As in all childhood cases, when a child’s BPI is severe but does not meet or medically equal a listing, consideration must be given to whether the impairment-related functional limitations are disabling. When we evaluate the functional effects of an impairment, using the functional equivalence domains, we look at activities that are pertinent to the child’s age. We also consider how a child’s limitations in any one domain affect his or her development or functioning in other domains. Marked limitations in any two of the domains, or extreme limitation in one, mean the impairment functionally equals the listings. As in all childhood cases, each child may be affected differently by any given impairment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0424580030

DI 24580.030 - Information about Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPI) - 09/15/2005
Batch run: 01/27/2009
Rev:09/15/2005

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: SSD/SSI information current.

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP for "Determined" and other new Failies to UBPN Family.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

First I want to thank the work of all the Reps at UBPN for there work to make or injury count for SSDI and determination :D You can file for SSDI on line and up dated records are very important. Keeping the records for your child in case later in life they need them :shock: Every thing you need to take meds for or other injurys counts to in filing for SSDI. I drove semi for 25 years with birth erbs from the 50s I got my SSDI without a appeal because my good arm got rip up falling of my semi and caching my fall in my good arm and hand :evil: OUCH!! You dont need to file on line for your self or for a child. You see the commercials on Tv for lawyers call one see one. Bring your records to them and a copy of SSDI determination on our injures to. Just another thing to try by our determination to try anyway , Right :D

Best wishes and Trys,

Tom
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Wow talk about timing. This is amazing. I'm up for my 3 year review with SSD and this is exactly the information I was researching for. Wish me luck.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Angela,
A number of us OBPI-ers had to appeal 1 or 2 times before getting our SSD /orSSI so do not be discouraged on a 1st Denial...but on 2nd thought I remember your surgeries...BUT Still APPEAL UNTIL... :!: It is not unusual to appeal at least 3 to 4 times :evil:
HUGGZ,
Carolyn J :mrgreen:
LOBPI/73+
PS...Document,document document what youCannot Do,Need Assist with in your Activities of Daily Living.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I am puzzled but I want to help :roll: I never had to appeal , I filed on line and I sent my medical records in. I did see a SSA doctor they sent me to. I never had any record on my birth ERBS, My mom never keep them from the 50s and I never had treatment for my ERBS. Maybe I did not have to appeal because my good arm got rip up and then adding my birth erbs and record of it included by treating doctors for my right arm and hand ??

I think :roll: If people would write hear , Why they needed to appeal and reason for denial maybe I or other that did not have to appeal can help :roll: Did the need to appeal happen even if you did have a lawyer or just when you filed yourself ?? It did take time and there sure was a lot of steps I needed to do and I had to study alot before filing , What Did I do that made the difference??? I hope Maybe :roll: I, our others can help in the process of the steps here ???

Tom
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

Wow, I just got my review letter in the mail Today and am worried that because my shoulder now works I will lose my SSD.
Brandon
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Brandon,
Document,document document what youCannot Do,Need Assist with in your Activities of Daily Living.
Details are important, examples are good to document too. Attach extra pages.
Don't be afraid to Appeal 2 or 3 times.
Good Luck, Brandon.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
Brandon_3

Post by Brandon_3 »

Thanks Carolyn, I've already been awarded the SSD back in Nov. 2007. So my question is keeping it as hard as it was getting it? And if that is the case should I get a lawyer before I turn in my review or wait until the decision if I need to appeal?
Brandon
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

It's a Personal Choice call, Brandon, when to get assist from a SSD knowledgable lawyer.How much "Cannot Do" & "needs Assist/special equipments" you have documented? It's all in the Details.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+ 8-)