Anyone with Vascular injuries, esp subclavian

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
sarmstrong806

Anyone with Vascular injuries, esp subclavian

Post by sarmstrong806 »

I have a blockage of my subclavian vein and am going to need surgery before they go ahead with muscle transfers. Anyone had experience with vascular injuries related to TBPI?
Roy185

Re: Anyone with Vascular injuries, esp subclavian

Post by Roy185 »

I too had a subclavian blockage and had surgery to relieve it. But I received my tbpi as a result of the surgery. I had to have my first rib removed, and the vascular surgeon stretched my nerves for better access.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think my problem is not going to be repairing the vein, but acessing it, I had extreme trauma to the whole area. My top 5 ribs were crusged and kind of healed together, so I think instead of clipping the first rib they will probably have to bonesaw the whole thing. What was the reason for your blockage and what did they use to fix it? Im interested whether they used bypass or a stent.

Thx
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What caused the intial blockage, was it subclavian thrombosis? How did they fix your blockage? Im interested as to whether they bypassed it or used a stent. I think the main issue with my surgery will be my ribs. Five of my ribs including the 1st one were crushed in a car accident, and they sort of fused together as the fragments healed. Since they cant clip the first rib to acess the subclavian, I think they will want to just bonesaw the whole thing, unless there is another method of entry.
sarmstrong806

Post by sarmstrong806 »

Well I replied twice, but I was not logged on so they aren't showing up.

I was asking what caused your blockage in the first place, was it subclavian thrombosis? And how did the correct the blockage? Im interested as to whether it was bypassed, or a stent was used. I think the main issue with my surgery will be my ribs. My top 5 ribs were crushed in a car accident and were sort of fused together when the fragments healed. I guess since they cannot just clip the first rib to acess the subclavian, they will have to just bonesaw the whole bone plate. Unless there is a minimally invasive or other method of entry, which I doubt. Thanks for your input.

hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hey sarmstrong im not familar with your injury but just thought id let you know i have the same problem with forgetting to log in so youll know your not the only one
Roy185

Post by Roy185 »

Sorry I haven't replied. I've been busy the last few days. I developed a subclavian thrombosis about 3 years ago. My doctor said it was a result of heavy lifting at work. I had coumadin therapy for about three months, and the remaining blockage was removed with angioplasty. I was told my first rib was pressing against the affected vein, and the best thing to do was a rib resection to relieve the pressure and ensure the blockage did not return in the future. My doctor mentioned a bypass or a stent could be used in addition, but he would not be able to tell for sure until he cut into me. Luckily he didn't see the need for either. It has been 3 years since the surgery, and there has been no recurrence. I was left, however, with a tpbi. Thankfully, I have regained full use of my arm and am taking medication for the pain.