sour cherries

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

sour cherries

Post by jennyb »

I hurt my 'good' shoulder this summer, it's been a busy time and we spent a lot of time outdoors doing stuff not really recommended for one handers, such as rolling boulders down a river bed to create white water for the kids to negotiate on their truck inner tunes (a favourite summer sport here) and last weekend I could feel that my shoulder was starting to protest and I knew I'd be in for an achy coupla days. With the bpi arm unusable, injury to my 'good' arm leaves me pretty helpless. A fellow camper told me to eat sour cherries for the pain and as the local farm had loads and they were cheap, I did. And it worked! I was able to continue abusing my arm at will, I didn't have to spend days 'guarding' the arm until the inflammation died down (which is what I usually do) I just carried on doing stuff and eating cherries, no pain!
Back in civilisation I checked this out and found it's a scientific fact that sour cherries do help arthritic pain and are 10 times more effective than aspirin. If you're long term injured and get the arthritic type pains (I don't think cherries will work on the nerve pain) it's worth a try, tinned and frozen cherries work just as well apparently but they must be sour cherries, not the sweet ones.
If you don't like the sour taste, try melting chocolate and dipping them in, if you still don't like the taste, just eat the chocolate!
I'm still waiting for that breakthrough research proving that chocolate cures everything which we all know is true, it's just a case of waiting for the medics to catch up with us...still, cherries will do for now:0)
George

Re: sour cherries

Post by George »

hhhmmmm..........sour cherries. OK....I'm game....will give them a go and get back with you. I wonder how much other good stuff is out there growin in the woods that we don't know about. I'll try anything cept sushi and chitlins. Somebody told me that chitlins would make you forget any pain you've ever had. I ain't brave enough to eat em......

And Jenny, I'm not a long termer, but me good shoulder is definately making me aware that its having to work overtime.......such a real issue.......and it really doesn't take much to get it starting hurting. The only thing that really helps is heat and lots of rest. Can't speak enough of protecting what we have left.
George

Post by George »

ps............. no problems eating chocolate :o)
francine

Post by francine »

A lifetime ago my husband and I went to Belize. We went to this cancer research center deep in the jungle - really it was just a two room shack but the stuff in it was amazing. We went on a tour of the area surrounding this shack. It was just amazing what was growing in the jungle. Yam root for birth control, pineapple leaves for making a cast for a broken limb, trees that were poisonous but had the antidote growing on the tree itself (inside poisonous, bark was the antidote). There was much more. It was so amazing.

Wish we had sour cherries local.... never seen them. Hmmmm maybe it's time to grow a tree?

thanks for the info jenny,
francine
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Ah Jenny, sour cherries and chocolate. Sounds wonderful. There is some research on chocolate so you are absolutely on the mark with this treatment combo! Chocolate contains a natural chemical that triggers neurotransmitters in the brain. The resulting sensation is a mild euphoria. Unfortunately you can't eat too much, as that natural chemical dilates blood vessels in the brain and may cause a headache if you eat too much.

No sour cherries here though ... guess I'll have to make do with the chocolate.

Nancy
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Yestday while reading a paper I discovered this little tidbit....
SPECIAL INGREDIENT IN CHOCOLATE MAY STOP HACKING COUGHS

I just could'nt believe my eyes--- could it be the doctors were wrong and I WAS RIGHT... chocolate was not causing me allergic attacks but curing them????

LOL....LOL... if this is true.... pack the sour cherries in chocolate....

It seems that British researchers have learned that theobromine a chemical found in chocolate is more effective at stopping coughs than the codeine in many cough syrups....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you have to eat 25 BARS.... so whats the problem with that!!!!!!!! Add some sour cherries and we will feel really good... LOL... no more coughing

This study is at London's Heart and Lung Institute.... Now here comes the down side --- The researchers told the British Thoracic Society in Dec. that they are continuing to test theobromine, so theres hope for the future without the chocolate.........duh... ok all you Brits get into this study and tell them we need chocolate!!!! LOL...

Chocolate and Sour Cherries sounds a lot better for pain and coughs... than all the other stuff they gives us and someone wants to leave out the chocolate..... LOL....

I thought when I read it wow... then Jenny posted... an it really hit home.... LOL....

Kath
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

Hey guys this is hd again I live in kentucky and have found out that scientists have been trying to prove theorys that farmers already know work and use them in wisetale and old fashioned remedys for years they dont need scientific proof if they already know it works i havent heard the sour cherries remedy but will be sure to try it. The choclate sounds like a good one to i had several facial injuries in my wreck that screwed up my taste buds and the sweet ones still work i wasnt much on sweet food till know and i eat to much.Chocalte is write up there at the top.If im not mistaken dosent chocalte and cocaine come from the same plant ive never used drugs before but couldnt there be something there that were missing.if that roomer is fact. maybe i should change my user name to hillbilly or redneck but you can find some of these remedys in the farmers almanac i think