Are there any message boards for 11 yrs olds to converse w/same

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kristin's Mom

Are there any message boards for 11 yrs olds to converse w/same

Post by Kristin's Mom »

My daughter this past weekend mentioned the interest in talking with other children her age about brachial plexus
issues.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: Are there any message boards for 11 yrs olds to converse w/same

Post by richinma2005 »

Hi,

The UBPN has the ability to create another board for kids, but we are reluctant, as verification of users, even a private board where entry is controlled, would be difficult for this age group. We could have moderation as well, but that would entail extra volunteer time. What we have suggested is trying to find other families who allow pen-pals or email pen pals. This has been effective in the past. If enough interest is shown however, we could create a private message boards for that age group-it would not be assessable by anyone but the kids and the moderators.

rich
president UBPN
Josh'smom

Post by Josh'smom »

how about maybe a pen pal and they can send each other emails? I have a son that will be 12, but am sure she would rather chat with another girl...good luck.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Kristen's Mom,
I haven't posted in ages, but have a 10 year old daughter in 5th grade. Perhaps our girls could e-mail.
Corinne
CorAndMard@comcast.net
cnicho28

Post by cnicho28 »

Not sure how severe your children's injuries are however, I have a 9 1/2 year old daughter with OBP of her right arm. She is fully functional without surgery she just has some minor issues such as strength and inward rotation of the arm. I am sure she would love to chat with children her own age with the injury so she could learn more about it.
Kianas Dad

Post by Kianas Dad »

If you like, my daughter is 14 and loves to speak with people regarding her arm. She was 12 when she had her accident. Who are you seeing for the injury, and at what hospital?
Julsmom

Post by Julsmom »

Hi there...it's been so long since I have posted that I forgot my username! I haven't posted since the night before my daughter's surgery almost 3 years ago. I logged on to check to see if there were other kids that would like to talk about their injury. My daughter is 9 1/2 with a ROBPI. She had a surgery with Dr. Waters almost 3 years ago, and she has many questions about the possibilty of a second surgery. I spoke with her and she would love to email with other girls her age to talk. I think it would be good for her to finally get to talk to someone who has or is going through the same thing. She really, with the surgery, has a tremendous amount of function. She has mainly trouble with supination, as well as getting her arm out to the side of her body, and a few other minor difficulties, but I think the older she gets, the more she realizes that she cannot always do what everyone else does. If anyone would like for our daughter's to exchange email addresses, that would be great...I too would love to talk to any mom's about how they talk to their daughter's at this age about their injury. My email is kpoje@hvc.rr.com...
LeeAnneB

Post by LeeAnneB »

My daughter would love to e-mail or IM or text. Michaela is 12 with LOBPI with Horners and Klunmpkes.Her e-mail is godsgirl13@att.net
Julsmom

Post by Julsmom »

That would be great! I will tell Juliana tomorrow. How is your daughter doing? Has she had any surgeries? If you would like, my email is kpoje@hvc.rr.com...I will have Jul email Michaela and then they can email or text :^)