Athletic Arm Sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
PRISCILLA
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son, traumatic injured (TBPI) - November 2003. 3 surgeries to date.

Re: Athletic Arm Sling

Post by PRISCILLA »

Hey everyone ! Dan and I are e mailing about the slings you all are raving about. We are thinking of getting one for James. Ive seen the pics on the links posted here and appreciate you all doing that. I would appreciate any other pics you all might have especially the one he made camo. James is in alot of clay shooting tournaments and hunts so his sling he has now is not working for him. Any advice and the camo pic would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Thanks ! Priscilla (mom to James, age 15, RTBPI)
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

I posted a few new pictures, one of me in the running sling about to go running and a great picture of Robin running in the NTC Triathlon.

Dan
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Hi Dan. Saw the pictures you guys look like you're having a blast.
Do you have 'mailers' for your sling made up?
Remember I asked if you could fashion one in denim?
I was thinking of sending you an old pair (or two) of my 501's. I think it could work??? You could even have a pocket or two.
Let me know your thoughts please. Football season is upon us which means rough housing and long leg dungaree pants so put the shorts away and lets play.
Scott
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Hi Scott,

The Tri was a blast, I can't wait for the next one.

No, we don't have mailers for the sling, haven't done any marketing on it other than making it available to people on these boards.

Yes, we can do in denim. I am sure we make a sling out of your old jeans. I need to ask about cost, but my guess is that it might cost more because it would take more time to build. Let me know if you want to move forward on it and I will ask for an idea of what it would take to build.

Always like football season, but you forget, I live in Los Angeles and we can wear shorts all year long, especially on the golf course:)

Good to hear from you again,

Dan
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Dan,

I've picked up my paired down "runners"sling. It's awesome! Sturdy and extremely supportive and lean and mean!

I'll get some pictures up soon of me putting it to use and breaking a hard sweat...

Thank bro! It's really given back a lot of freedom and happiness, and that's an understatement.

Cheers,
Chris
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

The golf course huh Dan? You crack me up. I can't tell you why but I just haven't broken free of myself quite enough yet to move forward. It's not like I sit around and mope all day. I seem to keep very busy from sun up to sun down yet nothing seems accomplished. As a matter of fact my apartment is a disaster. It seems as though I'm no sooner cleaning up and I'm too spent to straighten up. Because of the damage from the venom to my right hand(the thumb, index and middle fingers) and subsequent infection I can not feel things at those finger tips. My thumb and index finger mostly. I have a very difficult time with things like papers, pages in magazines, newspapers or books, separating paper currency and sorting/organizing stacking paperwork.
I ran into a fellow veteran just the other day at the hospital. I have not seen her for almost two years. You know what the first thing out of her mouth was? Scott you gained too much weight and it makes you look fat.
I need to get back to my best...looking and feeling better all things considered. I have to start taking it all seriously for awhile before I can have fun with it again.
I truly would enjoy a round of golf as soon as I lose about twenty pounds alright?

Peace out,
Scott

Message was edited by: swhite1
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Scott,

Time to get you out running? Lets get a denim sling made and get those fat comments eliminated from your conversations.

Dan
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Here is another request to get pictures from all of you who are using the sling. I have added a recent picture of Pete but I would love to get some action shots. If you can e-mail to me so I can add them to the flickr site, that would be great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athleticarmsling/

Dan
Dan
Evulsed C5-T1

Post by Dan »

Got a few action photos added.

I posted one of Joel doing the Portland Marathon and two of him snow skiing. The great thing about his snow skiing pictures is that this is the same mountain he got hurt on two years ago. I love the fact that he got back out onto the same place and does not let that stop him from doing a sport he really enjoys. I didn't post the picture, but he had a really funny one of him "attacking" the tree he ran into two years ago.

I told him I know exactly how that feels as I still know the exact spot I fell water ski racing over twenty years ago, I call it my Bermuda Triangle. In fact, I should be water skiing over the spot in April, can't wait....

If there are other pictures of the people who have slings being active, post them so others know you can still get out and have a ball doing the things you love doing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athleticarmsling/

Dan
Joel

Post by Joel »

Hi,

Here are those pictures Dan was talking about. I love trhe sling and am totally getting my life back. Today is the two year anniversary of my accident and I'm celibrating instead of morrning. You've got to celibrate life and make it work bor you.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... d=29301426

Cheers,
Joel