Let's see how silly we really can be

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Let's see how silly we really can be

Post by Carolyn J »

Robert,
I am a firm believer that Humor heals, and helps! :)
You are sure welcome here anytime, Ya'hear!

HUgs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Me too. Thats whats helped me stay so optimistic. It seems as though parents, friends and fam take it harder than I do.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
Baeta

Post by Baeta »

Hey all,
When i was little (and even now) my mother always called my arm "your special arm". she even used to say it to my teachers its was alittle embarrasing as i got older. My friend used to call me "gimpy" in art class in high school, but i just called her a midget back because she was short. it was all in good fun. my fiance calls it my "broken wing" because his nickname for me is snowbird. i guess there all sorts of things to callit.
acanneg

Post by acanneg »

In college, I would always make weird poses with my arm to try to freak people out a bit for fun. Some of my friends called me "Crazy Hand" or "Crazy Arm" said in a silly way. Sometimes I call it my gimp arm, too...just for fun.
emma

Post by emma »

Hi my friends and myself have always refered to my arm as my bad arm.When i was young some children thought it was something they could catch from me and my close friends wanted to do everything for me because of my"bad arm"It is nice to know there are others out there with erbs palsy to relate to.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I always just call it my bad arm, but i do like the 'lucky fin' lol! i showed my friends in college how i make my arm go on top of my head, which is like a full body movement of throwing my arm up there... ever since freshman year it has been "do the arm thing"
~Mel, 21, LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI
icesideprophet
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Post by icesideprophet »

reading this thread seriously just made my day,
growing up my mom always referred to it as 'your arm'
around my friends i usually call it my silly arm or something along those lines, since i always accidently hit them with my elbow.
I love the Nemo realted names. One of my best friend's little sister asked me what was wrong with my arm once and i told her it was kinda like Nemo's fin, since she was to young to really understand
whenimsixty4

Post by whenimsixty4 »

Hi! I'm new here (just created my account, oh, 3 mins. ago) and I have to say I've been horribly un-creative when it comes to referring to my injured arm! You all put me to shame. = )

I've also had it dubbed by family as my "bad" arm, and often refer to it as my 'weak' arm. Sometimes just my Left Arm (undeniably capatalized, always said rather ominously. LOL)- it has also been called my 'gimpy' arm but in a playful way by some of my closest friends.
Elizabeth Beaulieu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right Brachial Plexus birth injury

Post by Elizabeth Beaulieu »

rachelcasa wrote:After the movie Finding Nemo, I now call my arm the short fin!! Although after the mod quad I have gained 2 inches in length it is still shorter and I still have the bow in it. I also had to get the Nemo tattoo to go along with it.
I LOVE IT! I really want to get a nemo tattoo! :D
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

I call my arm the chicken wing. Sometimes I have other names for it but we wont go there lol