is it safe to see a chiropractor

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: is it safe to see a chiropractor

Post by Kath »

I go to the chiropractor. I really make sure they understand bpi. They cannot crack my neck or back.
He uses this little trigger point instrument to adjust me and it seems to be helping.

My PT was a chiropractor before he became a PT he use to adjust me with gentle adjustments. He dropped my insurance now when I need PT I have to find a new one and educate about obpi.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
kissygoose

is it safe to see a chiropractor

Post by kissygoose »

I'm considering seeing a chiropractor because I'm having a lot of pain with my back and hope they might be able to help especially now that I'm not in PT anymore. I'm just a little leary of seeing one as I don't know if it's safe where my arm is concerned.
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

I've been seeing a chiro who has been helping me w/ overuse pain in my good arm, and he's also been very helpful in giving me exercises to help balance out the muscle composition in my back. One of them was a back extension exercise, but only having my left (affected side) leg in the back extension platform at the gym. He also reccomended doing deadlifts holding a weight in the affected hand (I use a grip hook and strap I got at a sporting goods store). He said that because I use my right side so much for pulling, that the muscles are larger on that side, and that if I don't balance out the other side, the larger muscles on the right would pull on my spine until it's out of alignment. Those exercises he gave me target the lower back muscles on the weaker side without needing to use the left arm much at all.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

I went to a chiropractor who fully understans BPI. He has a bilateral tbpi himself. He uses an instrument to do adjustments because of the weakness in his arms. He told me that it is not a good idea to do any adjustments on someone with a BPI. He basically said a chiropractor dont need to mess with a BPI. .period.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed May 14, 2014 4:30 pm.