Water Therapy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BarbH

Water Therapy

Post by BarbH »

Hello Again,
I was wondering how water therapy has gone for others. The Dr. told us e-stem isn't approprate (sorry about the spelling) for Jessica because her bones are still growing but she wants her started on water therapy right way 2 possiably 3x a week.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Water Therapy

Post by admin »

My dd started aquatherapy as part of her surgical protocol. I think it has worked wonders, AND she really enjoys going to therapy. It's the only way we can get strength building in for any substantial amount of time. She tends to find ways to compensate with land therapy for anything that we come up with for strength building. In the water she'll crab walk, bear walk, pull herself along the pool, push up on a surf board, you name it. She'll also do a lot of pouring and other wrist moves in the water.

Lisa
Heather B

Post by Heather B »

I'm also curious about this. We were at TCH last month & they recommended Clara have Mod Quad. We've decided to wait until we're back in the states (next year) to have this done. In the mean time, we're really trying to work that little arm (we don't have access to formal therapy, so it's just "mean old mommy" trying to make these exercises fun) I've heard that aqua therapy is great & I'm in the process of trying to find a pool in the area that will let myself and a "baby" (she's 15 months) in the water.

Since I'm going to be doing this, can any of you who have "been there, done that" give me some ideas on what to do? What did your therapist do with your child? How long were they in the water? I bought one of those little swimming vests (it has the little flat panels strapped to the front & back of them)...should I use that or will the strap over the shoulders hinder her? I know, lots of questions, but you guys always have such great ideas.

Thanks a million!
Heather
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Heather - email Nancy Birk at nancy@ubpn.org so that you can be put on the mailing list and so that you can get a copy of last year's Outreach (Awareness). In there is a great article on Aquatic Therapy and it'll give you some great ideas.

About the floaties you use...is it the SwimR Trainer you use? does it have a crotch strap ? if it has a crotch strap then you don't need the shoulder straps... let me know...

francine@injurednewborn.com

sometimes hotels sell memberships to their nice, indoor heated pools... also nursing homes that have them... YMCA.... hospitals....

good luck finding a nice pool - it'll be great fun!
-francine