meeting other tbpi's

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

meeting other tbpi's

Post by cbe411 »

hello! just to report... just saw my surgeon yesterday and he is impressed with my recovery, once again! he said that he will see me back in 6 months and we can talk about muscle transfers then. it was initally thought that C5 was totaly avulsed and C6 partialy avolsed, but i am regaining strength and muscle in those areas!!! i also got to have lunch with hdcrash while i was down in kentucky! what a great guy and what a treat to meet someone who TOTALLY understands!!! thanks chris!! good luck to everyone and ill keep you posted!!
~Courteny from Michigan
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: meeting other tbpi's

Post by jennyb »

it is the BEST feeling to meet another tbpi isn't it? When I met my first one I was just blown away.....met a few more now and in a month I'll be meeting around 25 AT ONCE in the uk, where some of us are camping for the weekend (in tents, that should be fun with all of us one handed!)
btw, if anyone has never seen another tbpi, check the link I posted above under Jessica's post, theres a RealPlayer clip from a BBC news story about pioneering bpi work which shows a guy with a tbpi, check it out...
GREAT NEWS about the nerve damage Courtney, you have a great chance of some useful recovery there, I'm so glad for you :0)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello other tbpi i have not meet anyone with this typ of injury. I would very much like to meet people that have this typ of injury. my name is todd it has been 15 months since my accident. I guess i have root avulsed on my c6 thro t1 there not sure 100%.i'm waiting for and apointment from mayo clinic to see about muscle transfer surgery to give some use of my arm i really hope so, so i keen go back to work in the home improvement that i like very much. I have read alot of the stuff on here and it has been helpfull to me thanks everyone Todd from michigan.
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hey just wanted to say thanks for meeting with it was great to meet you you sound and act like you have a lot of drive to over come this it was pretty funny to talk about putting you chin toward your chest and elevatng the arm to ease the pain and how goofy we probably look doing it but hell it works thanks again for the meeting it meant alot