Going to see Physiatrist

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kathleen M

Going to see Physiatrist

Post by Kathleen M »

Has anyone had any experience using a Physiatrist?

I was examined this week in NY and the doctor is sending me for mri and to see a physiatrist.
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of doctor

ahttp://mentalhealth.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?once=true&site=http://www.aapmr.org

Kath
Lindsey

Re: Going to see Physiatrist

Post by Lindsey »

Yup, as well as psychologists and counselors. But that has nothing to do with my arm. That's because I'm supposedly ADD and depressive. I know I'm depressive, but the medicine doesn't help me. But don't listen to me, I'm rather bitter, cynical and sarcastic for my 18 years, and I know it. Good luck with the shrink!

Lindsey
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Lindsey

This doctor is a physiatrist ( prounounced - fizz ee at' trist)

They are doctors who focus on restoring function. They treat people who have orthopedic and neurological injuries and plan for rehabilation and prevention of future injuries...

The reason I asked is I have never heard any obpi/adult talk about this type of doctor. Not that we have had that much experience with bpi doctors in general until recently...

They don't think that some depression can come from OBPI? I don't know what I can say to help you but I remember at times feeling depressed when I was a teenager and at times sarcastic and cynical... time healed that along with very positive experience after I left high school - high school was a very negative experience for me... I was taught to think positive but school life left me very negative...and my family life was rough at that time too...

Life got so much better as I moved on... I wish you the same...
Kath
LynND

Post by LynND »

They are a doctor of physical medicine and help with rehabilitation using exercise basically a doctor qualified as a physiotherapist. Joel had one when he was younger I attribute his great progress to this doctor. Lucky for me he was a friend and it cost me nothing and I and Joel got heaps of improvement from him. He was the one to advise me about swimming and as you know it aquatherapy which I feel is by far the best form of therapy.
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Thanks Lyn

I know for years now you have said Aqua therapy was the best.
We use to have a pool and I swam all summer long everyday. When we moved we would go to the beach but the ocean was too rough and I HATE sand... LOL.. love the beach but hate sand on me.
I stopped water exercise and that is when I began to tighten up again. I no longer swam for half the year and I was loosing range of motion in my arm and causing the other arm to have restricted motion to... I never realized all the swimming was the reason I felt so much better... I never thought much of what happened to me was related to may arm... I sort of forgot about it most of the time...so dumb

Thanks to you and your suggestion for Aqua Therapy
I used a local pool spa for a while but in the winter I froze when I left and they used so much chlorine my skin was suffering..

So I have taken the next step. I ordered a Spa for my back deck with massage jets and heater.( I supposed to redo my kitchen) This way I can exercise morning - noon and night all year long in warm water. I can't wait for it to come... but how do I keep my kids away... LOL...

I am going to see this doctor on June 5th after an MRI. Now any hints on how I will do with that test. I know I need it but putting me in anything and holding me down... YIKES!!! should I just take something???

I have never taken a tranquilizer so I don't know how I would react to it. All hints appreciated for this test.
Nervous
Kath
Lindsey

Post by Lindsey »

::laughs at herself:: Well, that's what I get for not reading carefully. Methinks I'll go hide for a while now...
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

No don't hide...

I am right obpi and I always had a major problem with spelling... hated English because I could not spell. Then I began to type and discovered I spell better when I type... LOL.. not great but better...
They forced me to write right handed

I had to look up the word on the website... could not pronounce it and then found that spelling and the way to pronounce... live and learn... other obpi reported they also have spelling issues... a while back.

Kath
Mel4fitness

Post by Mel4fitness »

Hey Kath-
I'm having an MRI this Tuesday. The doctor is giving me 2 valum. One to take 1/2 hour prior to the procedure and one 5 minutes before if I'm still stressed out. I'll let you know how bad it is or isn't. However, if you are clausterphobic.....get something.........you can't move for a half hour.

Melanie
Karen Hillyer

Post by Karen Hillyer »

Hey ladies,
over here in the Uk we have a saying
" sarcasm is the highest form of wit"
do you have that saying in the US?

from a very witty ( lol)
Karen