What's the one item?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
ipeverywhere

What's the one item?

Post by ipeverywhere »

Hi!
I’m cross-posting this in both the Traumatic and Obstetrical because I’m very interested to know.

What is the one item you find most important in your daily life that makes this injury “ok”?

It needs to be some material object that you use on a regular basis. It should be something easily obtained by the rest of us (so we can go get it and be helped by it too). Include a link to a picture if you can so if it’s something odd we can see what you are talking about. Justify your answer.

I’ll go first.

My one item that has allowed me to live easier with my BPI is the Bagel Guillotine. You can see one here: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=10647517

I am a fan of the Bagel as it really gets my morning going. In fact, on some mornings, the bagel is more necessary then coffee. I know that this is blasphemy to some of you but its true. I prefer mine with cream cheese and loks and toasted. All of these things require slicing the bagel first because everyone knows that good bagels don’t come pre-sliced. So what’s a BPI to do? Have you ever seen a one-armed man half asleep with a knife? It’s not pretty and it gets down right nightmarish when that same man is hungry and now frustrated because the object of his desire is flying across the counter and onto the floor.

To save myself and others this horror I use the Bagel Guillotine. It works so well I bet I could actually use it _in_ my sleep and still one-handed! In fact, remembering now how I felt when I woke up this morning; I think I already have.

Now just to find someone willing to spread that cream cheese and I’d be all set.
lizzyb

Re: What's the one item?

Post by lizzyb »

Electric can opener.

We changed our kitchen recently which meant we were living out of boxes and all the 'non essentials' were packed away temporarily and yes, the electric can opener was one item that was packed away and definitely SHOULDN'T have been...!

I was on my own one evening and decided to have something for dinner which involved opening a can. I remember Jen posting once that she found an ordinary can opener just as easy to use, so I thought anything she can do etc etc :) BUT no way could I do it.

Believe me, I tried everything and all I managed to do was put a small hole in the lid of the can. It took ages and I haven't been that angry and frustrated with an inanimate object for years. I ended up cooking something else that I had to invent from packets and frozen veg, but at least it was edible!

Since then, the electric can opener has a drawer practically to itself in me new kitchen! :)
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Crazy as it is I would have to say my long, rather flat shoe horn. That's right go ahead, laugh...I tell you what... my shoe horn is my one special thing. I use it to shoo fly's when I'm napping, I use it to tuck my shirts in on the other side, I use it to scratch itches when I can't reach 'em and sometimes when I can. I use my shoe horn to reach for things that 'er like 3 feet away, I use it to tamp down wrinkles on my bed when I make it an even sometimes when I don't. I use my shoe horn for getting shoes outer my closet and guess what? I use my shoe horn to horn my shoe?' Now if someone could explain to me why, when and where did such an implement get such a name? Clearly it deserves a more respectful name than shoe horn. I mean it isn't called shoes horn when usually it's used on both shoe...s, I have never seen anyone blow one like a horn and it doesn't look like a horn. I have listed only a few of it's many uses. I'm sure someone could probably write a book about famous shoes horns and their many uses. Oh well another day. That's my pick.
Scott
Nancy (Eric's Mom)

Post by Nancy (Eric's Mom) »

Hi Ryan - Sorry it took awhile to get back to you - I wanted to respond because it was good to see the "old familiar screen name" again - I had to wait until I saw Eric to reply to this thread - it took him about 10 seconds to come up with "that blue grippy pad" - instrumental for holding things in place while you open them.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!
cami_tennis

Post by cami_tennis »

I'm really new to this website and so far I am really enjyoing it. My all time favorite item would have to be my jar opener. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=14575855 I used to try to open up a jar of pickles on the floor but usually ended up silling pickle juice everywhere. Lol. Yes I know embarrassing. This jar opener is really helpful if you are home alone and need something opened.
kmartens

Post by kmartens »

Honestly, my mom gave me a kitchen aid stand mixer... it is by far my favorite thing! The 2nd would be these baking pans that are on QVC that are light weight and nothing sticks to them. Being homebound for the last 8 weeks, not being a TV person and being restricted in exercise, I've found great recipes online and cooked ahead with the help of a friend to have a week of meals for my family while I'm in the hospital. :)
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I would have to agree that the kitchen aid stand mixer is amazing!!! It makes life so much easier.
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN