Search found 28 matches

by PatE
Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 pm
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM
Replies: 10
Views: 8060

Re: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM

Hi Shaun. Just wanted to chime in again now that I'm recovering from the gracilis muscle transfer on June 29, 2011. Like you, my injury was 32 years ago. My right arm is completely paralyzed by a full avulsion C6,7,8, T1. Dr. Bishop and Shin at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester performed the surgery. Thi...
by PatE
Sun May 29, 2011 1:33 pm
Topic: chances of recovery of function in right arm?
Replies: 16
Views: 6062

Re: chances of recovery of function in right arm?

I'd like to join the motorcycle club too. Just started riding a modified 2006 Honda 750 Shadow Trike. My husband moved the throttle to the left side, installed an EFI auto-clutch, and the front and rear brakes are controlled with the right foot. It's totally bad-ass.
by PatE
Sun May 29, 2011 1:19 pm
Topic: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM
Replies: 10
Views: 8060

Re: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM

Hi Shaun. Amazing....my auto accident was also in '79. I lost total use of my right arm from paralysis due to brachial plexus avulsion. A little history: I was ejected from the automobile and ended up hanging over a guardrail, unconscious. Upon standing, my arm just hung at my side. Exploratory surg...
by PatE
Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 pm
Topic: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER
Replies: 8
Views: 7733

Re: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER

Thank you suzannesteam. So sorry for the trauma your son has experienced but it sounds like he has a positive attitude and he'll be in my prayers for continued improvement. It is truly amazing what one can accomplish when put up to the challenge. I too was 17 at the time of a car accident resulting ...
by PatE
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:33 pm
Topic: One Handed Typing Software for PCs
Replies: 29
Views: 14275

Re: One Handed Typing Software for PCs

This website may be helpful -- http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/howto.html I've been typing with one hand for 30 years, originally taught at a vocational school for the disabled. You just need to learn to use the 4 middle keys as the home keys and practice practice practice without looking. Good lu...
by PatE
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:27 pm
Topic: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER
Views: 7733

GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER

Hey Everyone. I'd love to hear about your experience having the gracilis free muscle transfer. I'll be traveling to Mayo Clinic, Rochester at the end of June for this procedure. I realize improvements may not be seen for a number of months. I'm mostly wondering what it's like the first month or so p...
by PatE
Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Topic: ANY NEW SUCCESS STORIES?
Views: 15364

Re: ANY NEW SUCCESS STORIES?

Hi ArmStrong. Keep a positive attitude and don't give up hope. You'll be able to ride again. My husband is currently modifying a 750 Honda Trike so I can ride with one hand. He's moving the throttle to the left side, changing the brakes to both foot brakes (on the right) and installing an auto-clutc...
by PatE
Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:16 pm
Topic: Mayo clinic
Replies: 17
Views: 6569

Re: Mayo clinic

Hey y'all. I'm new to the forum and am so amazed by all of your stories. There are so many similar stories to my injury. I guess the biggest difference in my situation is that it's a 30 year old injury. I wish I had known that some of you live and work in Rochester. I'm here visiting the Mayo Clinic...