Search found 28 matches

by PatE
Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER
Replies: 8
Views: 7725

Re: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER

Hey Bill. Wow, you are pretty banged up. The one thing I think all of us on this forum have learned is patience. Surgery and nerve recovery is a long, slow process. It will seem like there is no improvement for awhile and then all of a sudden you'll see a new movement or less pain. So I am now 13 mo...
by PatE
Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm
Topic: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER
Replies: 8
Views: 7725

Re: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER

Hi suzannesteam. I was wondering if your son has the same discomfort in his armpit area as I do. My gracilis transfer was performed June 2011. So, one year post-surgery, it still feels like there is a lot of healing to go. The intercostal nerve (from the lung) was used to fire the muscle. When I bre...
by PatE
Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:29 pm
Topic: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM
Replies: 10
Views: 8058

Re: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM

That's very interesting. I was not aware of that procedure. I just read another post, "new methods that speed up recovery after nerve injury". This is very encouraging.
by PatE
Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 pm
Topic: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM
Replies: 10
Views: 8058

Re: SURGERY FOR A PARALYSED ARM

Hi Shaun. I made a post today titled "Results from Trapezius Transfer". This was 32 years post injury. I hope it helps with your journey.

Pat
by PatE
Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 am
Topic: Dislocated Shoulder
Replies: 9
Views: 6830

Re: Dislocated Shoulder

wafloodzone - Please see my new post under "Results of Trapezius Transfer". It might be worth your time to have a consultation with Dr. Elhassan at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The transfer was the answer to my dislocated shoulder as an alternative to fusion. Best of luck.
by PatE
Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:13 am
Topic: Results of Trapezius Surgery
Replies: 3
Views: 3794

Results of Trapezius Surgery

Hello all. A private message was sent to me asking the results of my trapezius surgery. I thought others may have the same question so I am posting my experience. Just a quick history of my journey. 1979 - age 17, ejected from a rollover car accident resulting in brachial plexus injury. Arm was comp...
by PatE
Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:41 pm
Topic: Visine for horners
Replies: 4
Views: 2728

Re: Visine for horners

That's interesting. I didn't know the droopy eyelid was even related to the TBPI until about 2 years ago. What I love about the Visine is that there are NO surgical instruments involved. Thanks for the info MW. On a personal note, it was great meeting you in Rochester in November. I hope you are doi...
by PatE
Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm
Topic: At Mayo MN on 11/3
Views: 2012

Re: At Mayo MN on 11/3

Hello. I'll be there on that day for pre-op with Dr. Elhassan. This is for the second surgery of a trapezius transfer. The first was in June for the gracilis muscle transfer. I'll send you a private message and maybe we can meet inbetween appointments or dinner.
by PatE
Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm
Topic: Tendon Transfer Problem
Views: 2895

Re: Tendon Transfer Problem

Nate - I don't know a whole lot about the trapezius transfer but I am waiting to hear from the Mayo Clinic (Dr Elhassan's team) as the next step in my surgery. My understanding is that the airplane splint is routine for this procedure. Hopefully, someone else on the forum may have some experience. Pat
by PatE
Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:13 pm
Topic: What do you think about Dr. Kim out of houston, tx
Replies: 6
Views: 3040

Re: What do you think about Dr. Kim out of houston, tx

Hi skateunit. I was just reading through the replies to your post and just had to chime in about never giving up hope. I just had surgery at the Mayo Clinic, 32 years after a car accident that left my right arm paralyzed. I've led a full and happy life even though at 17 years old this trauma happene...