Search found 81 matches

by MW
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 pm
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: Wave of pains?
Replies: 6
Views: 1507

Re: Wave of pains?

I concur with Christopher on weather changes. But the most reliable thing for me is sleep. If I'm sleep-deprived, I'm almost always feeling more pain, which unfortunately for me leads to less sleep, which leads to this bad cycle. To come out of it, I often need to wait for a weekend to sleep in. I'v...
by MW
Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:43 pm
Topic: Clinical Trials for BPI
Replies: 7
Views: 3466

Re: Clinical Trials for BPI

I just want to make sure I'm reading this right -- this study is for muscle regeneration for long term BPI patients right? It is not for regeneration of nerve control of the affected arm, just trying to get more muscle on what you've got, correct? Sounds like a great study and I'm glad research is m...
by MW
Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:58 pm
Topic: Athletic Activities you are doing!
Replies: 39
Views: 21379

Re: Athletic Activities you are doing!

Hi all, I was injured while running, and the first thing I wanted to do after my recovery was get back at it. Dan's sling is hands down the best piece of equipment I have ever had. It let me get back into running and made me feel like life was somewhat normal again, once I was able to get back into ...
by MW
Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:54 pm
Topic: Videos: Before and After Surgeries
Replies: 28
Views: 14513

Re: Videos: Before and After Surgeries

Hi Ang,

Thanks for sharing your success! The guys at Mayo have offered me the same sort of wrist/finger fusion you had. Has the outcome made it easier/harder to put on clothes and gloves?

Best,

MW
by MW
Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:29 pm
Topic: Tips on getting around with one arm.
Replies: 124
Views: 53588

Re: Tips on getting around with one arm.

Hi Angela, For me it's coats... zipping them up. Whenever I buy a new jacket with one, I always make sure I can do it on my own. In terms of tricks, I try to push one side of the zipper against my body using my index finger, then use my middle and ring fingers (and fingernails) to get the zipper goi...
by MW
Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm
Topic: Radio segment on phantom pain/mirror therapy
Replies: 1
Views: 841

Radio segment on phantom pain/mirror therapy

Hi all, I was interviewed as part of a Chicago Public Radio segment on chronic pain and mirror therapy last month. My providers at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago describe theories on phantom pain, then I was interviewed on my condition and how mirror therapy affects it (which is only a bit)...
by MW
Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi all, How do you keep gloves from falling off your bad hand? Gloves seem to fall off since I can't curl my fingers, and I don't notice because I don't feel my hand getting cold! I have convertible mittens like this, but if they stretch out, they start falling off again. http://www.rei.com/product/...
by MW
Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Aimee, I use Dycem pads - these are super anti-slip pads in different sizes that last forever (just wash them). My OT introduced them specifically for preventing a piece of paper from sliding around when writing. I keep a couple in my desk at work and at home; they are really helpful for writing ...
by MW
Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:44 pm
Topic: TBPI 10Yrs on
Replies: 15
Views: 6464

Re: TBPI 10Yrs on

Hi Mitch,

Nice pics and bike! Question for you - how do you keep your bad arm secured to your body? Do you have a special jacket or suit that does it?

Thanks,
MW
by MW
Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 pm
Topic: please help-my daughter's hip hurts when she runs..
Replies: 7
Views: 3216

Re: please help-my daughter's hip hurts when she runs..

Hi racheljara, I'm a pretty avid distance runner who was injured during a run. After recovering from the trauma, I re-learned how to run with a bpi injury using one of Dan's slings, which holds your arm in a very secure position, no moving or bouncing around. I had the benefit of years of distance t...