Search found 39 matches

by racerboy
Mon May 18, 2009 8:37 am
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: Possible interventions to speed healing?
Replies: 18
Views: 4443

Re: Possible interventions to speed healing?

<r>Hi Janet-<br/> What leads the doctor's to that prognosis? The only reason I ask is that I had two neurologists tell me that since I had no avulsions, I wasn’t necessarily a candidate for surgery and would likely recover my functionality in 12-18 months. I was excited about this news, but since I ...
by racerboy
Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 pm
Topic: Motorcycle accidents.
Replies: 48
Views: 19152

Re: Motorcycle accidents.

<t>Breaks my heart to read some of these stories of my fellow bikers. I must be in the minority because I can say that I really have very little pain anymore. My right knee is still sore when i try to kneel on it, but the rod in my lower leg is 3mm proud (they didn't have the right size on the day o...
by racerboy
Wed May 13, 2009 8:37 pm
Topic: physiology of a nerve transfer
Replies: 2
Views: 878

Re: physiology of a nerve transfer

<t>Hi Christopher-<br/> I believe that the stretch injury was too great for a graft to be used along, so he did 4 nerve transfers (ulnar/median to musculataneous; tricep to axillary (deltoid); and spinal accessory to suprascapular). The non-avulsion was confirmed from a pre-surgery scan I had where ...
by racerboy
Wed May 13, 2009 1:18 pm
Topic: physiology of a nerve transfer
Replies: 2
Views: 878

physiology of a nerve transfer

<t>I’ve read a bunch of information nerve transfer surgery, both before and after I had it done back in March. The one piece that still puzzles me is when the fascicles are transferred over, is the expectation that they will grow along the same path as the injured nerve, to regenerate axons within t...
by racerboy
Wed May 13, 2009 12:48 pm

<r>Rob - Like you, I always said that planned on wringing every last bit out of this body before I went to the other side. I'm 41 now, but the last 7 months have definitely aged me. <br/> <br/> This accident was so freaky. An 18-wheeler pulled into my lane (he didn't cut me off) but as I looked over...
by racerboy
Tue May 12, 2009 1:20 pm

<t>Add me to the list of motorcycle accidents. Sept 21, 2008. Destroyed my 1993 Ducati Superlight when I hit the back of a tractor-trailer, and got thrown off the bike into steel guardrail. No avulsions, but stretched C5-C6. Also broke tibia, fibula, radius, scapula. Lots of screws, plates and rods ...
by racerboy
Tue May 12, 2009 12:48 pm
Topic: tricep nerve transplat to deltoid
Replies: 4
Views: 1319

Re: tricep nerve transplat to deltoid

Marian-
I know this is an old post, but was curious how you made out with the tricep-deltoid nerve transfer? I had this done about 7 weeks ago, and was curious about the recovery.

f.
by racerboy
Tue May 12, 2009 12:08 pm
Topic: Athletic Arm Sling
Replies: 83
Views: 210403

Re: Athletic Arm Sling

Hi Dan-
I definitely want to invest in one of your slings as the standard one given to me post-surgery really pulls on my left (uninjured) neck/trap. Can you design it so my right hand/forearm remains mobile/free?

Thanks,
Frank
by racerboy
Mon May 11, 2009 7:57 pm
Topic: anyone else have this happen?
Replies: 30
Views: 7201

Re: anyone else have this happen?

<r>I had a lot of sympathy cards during my initial hospital stay, but all of my friends have put me on the backburner until I get better. Always got to stay positive. I was “only” out of work for 3 months while my orthopedic injuries healed. Work has been very good to/for me. Fortunately, I can stil...
by racerboy
Sat May 09, 2009 5:03 pm
Topic: muscle loss
Replies: 5
Views: 952

Re: muscle loss

Thanks Ed. I'll keep you posted on the results. I have good use of my forearm (even though i broke the radius in half) and full use of my hand (weaker since transfer surgery and thumb has been tingly since accident). How long after the surgery did you start seeing your bicep come back?