Search found 14 matches

by suzannesteam
Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:06 am
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: Help - Gracilis muscle transfer - Any impovements ????
Replies: 8
Views: 15873

Re: Help - Gracilis muscle transfer - Any impovements ????

Freud, I completely understand the frustration. The Occupational Therapist at the Mayo Clinic was using a device for Ryan to help him see the movement however small was while he was trying to move it. If I remember correctly it measures the electro-impulses in the arm while he's trying to move it. T...
by suzannesteam
Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:09 pm
Topic: Help - Gracilis muscle transfer - Any impovements ????
Views: 15873

Re: Help - Gracilis muscle transfer - Any impovements ????

Freud, I saw your email and am following up on your post. My son had no feeling for at least 4 months after his gracilis muscle transfer (he's had 2). It is a very slow process, he needs to be patient. By what you describe of his injuries, his injury does not seem as severe as my sons'. My son had C...
by suzannesteam
Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:28 pm
Topic: Wrist and Thumb Fusion
Replies: 2
Views: 2600

Wrist and Thumb Fusion

I've seen a few comments about wrist fusion but was wondering if there could be more of a detailed discussion on both the wrist and thumb fusion. My son Ryan is on the fence about the fusions. Can anyone elaborate more for him, the good and the bad. He's really interested to hear from those that had...
by suzannesteam
Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:52 pm
Topic: Nerve transfer surgery tomorrow
Replies: 6
Views: 5881

Re: Nerve transfer surgery tomorrow

You are definitely in good hands with Dr. Allan Beltzberg. My mom's friend was in a terrible accident a few years ago and he basically put her back together! He would have been one of our choices for my son! Hope and pray all goes well!

suzanne
by suzannesteam
Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:08 pm
Topic: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER
Views: 7720

Re: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSFER

This is Ryan's reply: "I've had alot of discomfort with the armpit, which is now 16 months post op for the second gracilis transfer and intercostal nerves; it used to be really sensitive but it wore off about 8 months post op. Now at 16 months post op it feels normal." If you have any more...
by suzannesteam
Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 pm
Topic: TBPI inspirational student athlete
Replies: 9
Views: 7424

Re: TBPI inspirational student athlete

Oh my gosh Chris! Thank you so much for posting Ryan’s story. I have to share with all of you the great things that have come from that one article. One, so many people, friends, teachers, classmates even family have come forward and admitted to us that they had no idea the seriousness of Ryan’s inj...
by suzannesteam
Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:32 am
Topic: Molina and the Mayo Clinic are driving me insane
Views: 7049

Re: Molina and the Mayo Clinic are driving me insane

Wafloodzone, My son has same injury C5-T1, right arm. He was 17 at time of TBPI from football. I completely understand the insurance headache. I called every week prior to both of my son’s surgeries to make sure it was still approved and documented it and was given a reference number for each and ev...
by suzannesteam
Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 am
Topic: My new custom cutting board
Replies: 12
Views: 11366

Re: My new custom cutting board

I don't see any pictures, could you try to repost? Thanks!
by suzannesteam
Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:37 pm
Topic: Mayo Clinic or Dr Mackinnon
Views: 7191

Re: Mayo Clinic or Dr Mackinnon

As a mom, I'd like to add that my 17 year old son had a football injury, avulsions: C5-8 and T1. The CT Myelogram that was done in NYC proved the avulsions and the Mayo team did an exploratory beginning of 1st surgery to verify. The CT was correct. We ended up at the Mayo because they do on average ...
by suzannesteam
Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:36 am
Topic: Is this forever?
Replies: 14
Views: 8677

Re: Is this forever?

My 17 year old son was injured in a football accident 1 Sep 2010; his C5, C6, C7, C8 & T1 all completely avulsed. Double Free Muscle Transfer to right arm performed by Mayo doctors, Dr. Spinner; Dr. Shin; Dr. Bishop on 16 February 2011 and 25 April 2011. At four months out, he had elbow flexion ...