Search found 20 matches

by OzzyJohn
Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 am
Forum: Newly Injured TBPI
Topic: Reteaching your brain to heal.....
Replies: 1
Views: 1418

Reteaching your brain to heal.....

Hi everyone - It's been a while since I have visited, decided to take a break from my tbpi and get my mind busy on something else for a while as it's coming up to 3 years since my accident. For the past 6 months I haven't had the inclination to go to the gym or do my "home" exercises - I h...
by OzzyJohn
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 am
Topic: scuba diving
Replies: 3
Views: 1631

Re: scuba diving

I think it's a great idea - I was a long time scuba diver before my bike accident and recently returned. You need to plan your entry and exit from each dive eg: I jump or fall out of the boat to get in the water, when I return I remove my fins and then my BC and tank which is lifted onto the boat th...
by OzzyJohn
Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:57 pm
Topic: Hey Everyone
Replies: 34
Views: 11641

Re: Hey Everyone

I agree with all the above advice and add a little of my own, keep your muscles limber if you can especially because that is where your elbow lift comes from. I lost 12kg of muscle from my arm,shoulder and back plus my bicep muscle went solid due to inactivity. It is very painful massaging a solid m...
by OzzyJohn
Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 pm
Topic: Wish me luck....
Replies: 1
Views: 1030

Wish me luck....

Well it has been 16 months since my last surgery (Mar '09) and in the 12 months immediately afterwards there wasn't a lot of improvement to be seen or felt - in about March '10 I started to get some elbow flexion and with some intense muscle stimultation with a TIMS machine at home I was able to rea...
by OzzyJohn
Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:29 am
Topic: Having Surgery at Mayo on March 5th
Replies: 5
Views: 2279

Re: Having Surgery at Mayo on March 5th

Amazing news mate - as you said it's amazing how the body heals itself - good luck on the 5th ;)

Cheers John
by OzzyJohn
Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:11 am
Topic: Decision time / Update below.... Good news!
Replies: 4
Views: 2084

Re: Decision Time/Update...

Well - a funny thing happened in the surgeons office a couple of days ago, he had finished examining my left arm and shoulder and had returned to his side of the desk to write his report as I put my shirt back on. I think that it's only been a couple of months that I have been able to flex my bicep ...
by OzzyJohn
Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:58 am
Topic: Reply here if you are reading this TBPI forum regularly!
Replies: 69
Views: 13236

Re: Reply here if you are reading this TBPI forum regularly!

I am the injured Highsided off motorcycle going through gravel at 35klm - head hit guardrail, shoulder hit ground and avulsed C5 & C6 Accident date 29/11/08 Surgery date 30/03/09 I browse the site weekly and post irregularly but have gained some fantastic insights and even made a friend whom I h...
by OzzyJohn
Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:44 am
Topic: Decision time / Update below.... Good news!
Views: 2084

Decision time / Update below.... Good news!

Hi everyone - its been 9 months since my nerve graft surgery for the TBPI to my left arm. The surgeon's said that I had a 50/50 chance that I would get some lift from my elbow in the 3 to 6 months after the surgery - I have no lift even in my shoulder but my hand is working at about 50% always has, ...
by OzzyJohn
Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:26 am
Topic: 10 month post-op update!
Replies: 6
Views: 2806

Re: 10 month post-op update!

<t>Great to hear things are improving for you - I'm in a similar position, my accident was 28th Nov 2008 and my surgery was on the 30th March 2009. Both my C5 & C6 were avulsed but have been reconnected using the Sural? nerve from my right leg to C7. I have no shoulder movement, no elbow flexion...
by OzzyJohn
Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:33 am
Topic: sex stuff
Views: 2321

Re: sex stuff

<r>For the first 4 - 5 weeks after my surgery for TBPI left arm my daily meds (oxycontin,ibuproven,panadeine,valproate + sleeping meds) definately affected my "performance". I got to a stage where I felt that the meds weren't making much of a difference to my pain so I spoke to my doctor and weaned ...