Omega-3 Fatty Acids Could Prevent and Treat Nerve Damage.

Articles & Publications on BPI related sciences
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Omega-3 Fatty Acids Could Prevent and Treat Nerve Damage.

Post by Christopher »

I've believed this for a good while now, with all the research I've done.

DO IT.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 103856.htm

Omega-3 Fatty Acids Could Prevent and Treat Nerve Damage, Research Suggests

ScienceDaily (Jan. 11, 2012) — Research from Queen Mary, University of London suggests that omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in fish oil, have the potential to protect nerves from injury and help them to regenerate. When nerves are damaged because of an accident or injury, patients experience pain, weakness and muscle paralysis which can leave them disabled, and recovery rates are poor.

The new study, published this week in the Journal of Neuroscience, suggests that omega-3 fatty acids could play a significant role in speeding recovery from nerve injury.

The study focused on peripheral nerve cells. Peripheral nerves are the nerves which transmit signals between the brain and spinal cord, and the rest of the body.

These nerves have the ability to regenerate but, despite advances in surgical techniques, patients usually only have good recovery when their injury is minor.

Omega-3 fatty acids are vital for the body's normal growth and development and have been widely researched for their health benefits. Because the body cannot manufacture omega-3 fatty acids, they have to be consumed in foods such as oily fish.

In the new study, researchers first looked at isolated mouse nerve cells. They simulated the type of damage caused by accident or injury, by either stretching the cells or starving them of oxygen. Both types of damage killed a significant number of nerve cells but enrichment with omega-3 fatty acids in cells gave them significant protection and decreased cell death.

Next the researchers studied the sciatic nerves of mice. They found that a high level of omega-3 fatty acids helped mice to recover from sciatic nerve injury more quickly and more fully, and that their muscles were less likely to waste following nerve damage.

The research was carried out by a group led by Adina Michael-Titus, Professor of Neuroscience at Barts and The London Medical School and lead of the Neurotrauma and Neurodegeneration group in the Centre for Neuroscience and Trauma, Queen Mary, University of London.

She explained: "Our previous research has shown that these fatty acids could have beneficial effects in a number of neurological conditions. This new study suggests that they could also have a role in treating peripheral nerve injuries.

"More work is needed but our research indicates that omega-3 fatty acids can protect damaged nerve cells, which is a critical first step in a successful neurological recovery."
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Omega-3 Fatty Acids Could Prevent and Treat Nerve Damage.

Post by Christopher »

does no one find this of interest?

anyone ever try it?
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

I've heard about the benefits of omega 3's and have been taking them off and on for awhile now,this is interesting I also heard that St.Johns Wort also called Lions Mane (I'm not 100%) on this but I think I read it somewhere before have you heard of this? Also thanks to Christopher for doing so much research and keeping us all informed I won't be surprised if he finds a cure for us before the "professionals" do,keep up the good work.
Fred4545
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 48 yr male with BPI from auto accident on 8/07/11. Suspected C5-T1 avulsion from early EMG but recently have flexed bicep. Had many serious and life-threatening injuries to deal with first, but am now doing much better. Just had nerve transfer surgery at Mayo by Dr. Skinner to reinnervate deltoid and tricep. Once this is working, we will move on to nerve/muscle transfer for dealing with my hand.

Post by Fred4545 »

Bumping this back to the top...

I'm on daily doses of Omega-3 tablets (3-4per day) plus B-Complex (2 per day) and I've had tremendous recovery rate including the Dr's treating me at Mayo saying how astonished they are with my rate of healing and strength achieved in the muscles coming back.

I don't pretend to proclaim its due to me taking these but my sister in-law is a Doctor that also makes natural vitamin supplements, and she had me start these soon after my injury. She also installed a hyperbaric chamber in my house that I used for about 2 hours daily for about 3 months, so hard to tell if or what effect either had but every doctor and therapist I see calls my progress a miracle...lucky me to have access to these resources...I will t east recommend the vitamins based on the scientific info provided.

Best regards,

Jeff
Christopher

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:

~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Jeff,
Thanks for posting this. Folks need more first hand accounts of this to give it a shot.

My surgical nerve recovery was much faster than anticipated as well, and I accredit it high Omega-3 dosage, B Complex, Exercise, ad active energy flow meditation (focusing on movement - nerve connections).

I've had a long time interest in hyperbaric chamber recovery. There have been some very interesting studies out there on SCI recovery and other traumatic injury recoveries using it.

Keep up the good work, and keep on healing!

Christopher