Paralyzed Diaphragm procedure : Diaphragm Plication

Articles & Publications on BPI related sciences
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Paralyzed Diaphragm procedure : Diaphragm Plication

Post by Christopher »

Researching surgical options to help deal with a paralyzed diaphragm from having damaged my phrenic nerve which decreases my breathing capability significantly in my right lung.

Discovered the Diaphragm Plication procedure which involves opening the side of the chest and basically stitching up the diaphragm into a tight drum like web to give the lung room to expand.

Has anyone had this done or even ever heard of it?

My chest XRays make it clear that my intestines have filled up half of my right lung space, because there isn't a nerve impulse to indicate the muscle to contract and help fill the lung with oxygen. This would give my lung more space, but not necessarily help it "breath" much better. We'll see...

Thanks,
Christopher

Here's a good link about the procedure with VIDEO of it (not for the weak kneed):
http://mmcts.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/con ... 006.002568
Last edited by Christopher on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Paralyzed Diaphragm procedure : Diaphragm Plication

Post by marieke »

When I worked in the NICU we had a BPI baby that had this done. Without it she could not breath on her own it was thta bad. She had to be on constant CPAP. After the surgery she could breath on her own, no CPAP no O2 needed. It was great to see.
I have no idea how recovery would be for an adult though...
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com