Update and Making Babies on Meds

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
lizzyb

Re: Update and Making Babies on Meds

Post by lizzyb »

Hi Jamie and Gina..check out the TBPI Group messageboards and you'll see that having a BPI and being on meds hasn't prevented some of the blokes on there from producing happy healthy babies with their partners! To date, in the last year there have been 7 that we know about, oddly enough, mostly girls! If you are worried about anything, just ask your GP about it...I know some meds can reduce potency in certain circumstances, but not necessarily the ones that Jamie is taking.

Sorry to hear that the pain levels have increased...this unfortunately happens sometimes while the body is getting used to the new nerve 'arrangements.' Please let him know we are all thinking about him and send him (and you!) our best...by the way, without being crude, baby-making is probably the best pain relief ever...! ;0)

Lizzy B
Gayle Oz

Post by Gayle Oz »

Sorry yo hear your pain has increased post op Jamie!
Does anyone know anything about the women falling pregnant while on meds such as Nurontin? Is it an abosolute no-no?
rlaffoday

Post by rlaffoday »

I'm nearly fourteen years post-acc. TBPI (rt. arm) is the only remnants of the accident other than some vague visions that I'd rather not recall. I had the D.R.E.Z. Lesioning done at Duke University in it's VERY early stages. That was in April of '91 I believe. It worked like magic...for a few years. Around '96 - '97ish, the burning started coming back little by little. Now it's like I never had the DREZ done. I've been on the heavy hitters for quite a while. At the time of conception of both of my children, I was on oxycontin (360mg/day). Both of my children turned out beautiful, smart, energetic, and each is able to be the "Poster Child" for the All American Child. My only caution concerning conception is that if he is on something...it's not likely he will have the "drive" to perform. Good luck with the situation...as well as Jamie's recovery.
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Hiya Gina, I don't want to come off as a naysayer but I think you 2 should wait just a little while before trying to conceive kids. I'm not trying to scare you but I work in the field involving developmental and handicapped children and adults.

Definately discuss " THE WHOLE THING " with your Dr. You deffo don't want some kind of drug reaction affecting your child.

Just be safe and ask you DR. Is there a chance that the meds your man is on could possibly have a detrimental effect on the child ?

Lots of peeps will say they've had no adverse affects...And that's true... But I deal with downs syndrome and the like everyday and sometimes it can be preventable. But they only figure that out years down the road ?

Just be safe and ask lots of questions.

Take care...

Mikey :-)