Back from Intercostal Surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diargasm

Back from Intercostal Surgery

Post by diargasm »

Hey everyone, It's me Andre again. I went and had my 3 operation related to BPI on tuesday. The operation 10 hours. What the doctors found, I guess, were that the triceps weren't "dead". They tested them and found out that they were still working. But, sadly, they tested that before they had to break my ribs. My doctors also put my arm into a splint, because it had gotten so stiff that it was difficult to operate on. They decided not to intervate because they believed I had a better chance of success if they just let it work alone. One of the doctors suggessted that my c7 may not be avulsed at all, and that it's trying to get re-connected. Anyways, the pain near my armpit is really bad. The ribs don't hurt so much, only when I laugh or take deep breathes. I have to sleep on a reclining chair for a while. And still have this little plastic thing still going in me that takes the blood out of the wound.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: Back from Intercostal Surgery

Post by cbe411 »

Best of luck Andre, keep us informed!

COurt xo
Shannon03

Post by Shannon03 »

Wow, it sounds like you went through a lot but hearing that things are going on and possibly repairing themselves is great news. Best wishes!
Shannon
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

It sounds like you have been through a lot..did they say why they had to break your ribs? I havn't heard of that before with intercostal grafting...maybe they did a different procedure?

Sounds good that they think C7 maybe not be avulsed after all. How long is it now since you had the injury?

Sleeping sitting semi-upright is a real pain isn't it? I had to do this for months...nothing to do with the BPI, but severe injuries to the chest and ribs sustained at the same time as the BPI. No worries though, the time soon goes by. :0)

All the best...
Lizzy B
Karl w/ a K

Post by Karl w/ a K »

Andre,
Sounds like good news regarding c7. It took about 6 months before my triceps started to work after my tbpi. Although I only avulsed c5 & c6, c7 & c8 got stretched pretty bad. But now my triceps are fairly strong, as well as the other muscles fed by c7 & c8.
With all the surgeries one after another, you don't get a chance to do ROM excersizes. What does your physical therapist say about that? Is this it for awhile? Hopefully you can start the healing part now.
Best of luck....Karl....
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

Yes, one of my doctors said this is the end of operations for a long time. I'm happy about that because this is the most discomfort I've been in, even ater the accident. The want me to stretch my shoulder, but it hurts so bad after they cut around my armpit. Hopefully now I can go on with my life without worrying about nerve tests & surgeries. I'm seeing my PT after next week. It's been over a month since I have seen him.
Susana

Post by Susana »

Andre,I am glad all your surgeries are past.