Anyone out there with a c5, c6, c7 nerve avulsions?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diargasm

Re: Anyone out there with a c5, c6, c7 nerve avulsions?

Post by diargasm »

I guess I'm sort of lucky that I have no pain at all. I wonder why that is. I hope I wont have any unexpected pain after the surgery.
Susana

Post by Susana »

I think that most of the people that have pain have avulsed their c8 or t1. Thank God you can move your hand and no pain. The rest will come easier and with lots of patience. God willing.
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

Ugh... I wish Karlos would read this topic. In his profile it says that he got 75% function back with c5, c6, c7 avulsions.

And is there anyway to keep a muscle from atrophy?
karlos

Post by karlos »

As if by Magic,

Yep the surgery i had was in the UK by Mr Simon Kay and consisted of...

DIAGNOSIS left brachial plexus injury, avulsed roots C5, C6, C7.

4/6/97 Exploration of left bp neurotisation of accessory nerves to suprascapular nerve

2/7/97 Left intercostal nerve transfer 3rd - 7th motor branches to radial nerve,
Sensory branches to median nerve,
Intercostobrachial nerve to median nerve,
Oberlin's procedure, motor branches ulna nerve neurotized to nerve to biceps brachii,

Cross neck transfer discussed but waiting on results

27/12/2001 Tendon transfer , flexor to extensor

When the accident happend nearly 7yrs ago i had surgery within 2wks...All i could do was grip very weakly and pull my wrist down.
Now i have most of my hand/wrist movement , 50%shoulder,75%elbow , 40% tricep
I cant lift my arm above my head but can do most things like drive a normal car etc

Having said that iv met people whove had the same injury/surgeon and not got these results, and i was very lucky
karlos

Post by karlos »

Theres nothing much you can do about the atrophy, just keep your joints supple and free
With the pain i didnt have any untill after the surgery and this took over a year to subside, i still have bad days now..I hope yours is ok
herff94

Post by herff94 »

hi everyone~
I have had my BPI for 16 yrs now and I have to disagree with the theory of pain being associated with C8 and T1, I have no damage to those and I am in ALOT of pain. And as far as stopping your arm from getting thin, no luck there! Your losing all of your muscle. The implant is a wonderful thing, I would not have it any other way. My clothes fit nicely and no one can tell, even with just my bathing suit or a sleevless top on. Our injury could be so much worse, its not all that bad.
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

Thanks so much for replying Karlos. I'd just like to ask you a few more questions. What nerve did you have the cross-neck transfer for? How well has that come around?

Does your "latissimus dorsi" muscle work?

Am I still viable to have those surgeries you've listed around the 8 month period? I'm still only 16.

And do you know any questions I should ask my doctors before my cross-neck surgery?

I'm really sorry if I'm bugging you, but 75% arm function would be such a blessing for me. And since we've had the same avulsions (i know not all injuries are the same) I figure that this isn't just wishful thinking by me.
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

What about electricle muscle stimulators? On the FDA's website they say that it's used to prevent muscle atrophy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi

The electrical stimulation machines only work if you can get a muscle contract, ie have a nerve connection if you ahve an avulsion you won't have that connection unfortunately.
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

Oh I see now. Thanks.