Cruelty

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Cruelty

Post by jennyb »

Susan I am so sorry you're feeling like this. I can only reiterate what everyone else is saying and add my wishes......PLEASE hang on in there, you can beat this. If the pain got worse since surgery, speak to the surgeon, the pain is part of the injury NOT a seperate thing and you mustn't let them ignore this, or worse, stick you on strong meds and forget you. Hopefully it's a sign that things got 'woken up' in there. As Lizzy says, we do learn to live with this, unbelievable as it seems to you right now. Fight for you right to live a life with bearable pain susan, fight for your strength to overcome this. We are all here with you.
KGGUNNS

Post by KGGUNNS »

Susan there isen't anymore that I can say except that I completely understand what you are going through and how you are feeling because I was there last week. I did what was suggested to me, and you were one of the people who suggested this and that was to talk to people and believe in your heart that
"This Too Will Pass" and it did with me. I was in a lot of emotional turmoil. The emotional can be worse then the physical.

There is a prayer I try to remember to say everyday:

"God Grant me the serenity
To ACCEPT the things I cannot Change
The COURAGE to Change the things I can
And the WISDOM to know the difference

You have a lot of friends here for you. Hang in there.
Love, Karen
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I haven't much to add to the very good advice all those above have given to you. I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and fervently wishing that you will find a respite from the pain as time goes on.

Please know that here you have a wide community of people who love you, even though they have never even met you, and who care deeply about what you are going through.

Nancy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are a role model for our children. I could not imagine my life without my son. I cannot imagine what you are going through, I only know that this scares me too. My child will face the same situation in the future I suppose. You are still here for a reason, God loves you too much and he has a plan in store for you. Turn this into a positive thing for the young ones who deal with this. I've seen so much more in my life than I care to. My neice has cerebal palsy and is her abilities are far less than my sons. She will never walk, never get married , have kids, anything. My son will, I know it. It's all what you make your life, in some ways it makes you stronger. Turn this into a positive thing. Remember, God loves you too much, he saved you did he not? Well, he saved me and my son. I have bad days and I dwell, I almost died along with my baby, but we have a purpose here. It may take a lifetime to find out what it is, but we will. Just like the other doctor who came in after the other doc walked out on us. He saved us, if he was not there we'd be dead. Maybe that was his purpose? I will always be greatful to that man. Some one will be greatful for you one day. Actually you've helped me to realize that there is so much more to life than all this sadness. I feel sad when I hear this. There are those less fortunate than you. This is a good place to let your feelings flow. People like you help me. I hope there is hope for you. I was diagnose with post traumatic stress disorder, I'm on medicine. You perhaps need a little life put back in you. Smile. Annie
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Punchy Sue - Judy T has just found pain relief at one pain clinic. I will email her to contact you so she can tell you what they have prescribed for her. Maybe what she is doing will give you some relief as well? I will pray that it will.

Please surround yourself with people who love you and people that can support you in real life. I know we are all here for you - but you need someone to help you through the long minutes of each day. Is there a religious or any other community that you belong to that you can call upon for help? Make the calls now - have a human body helping you through this time.

My heart goes out to you and I will pray that you find relief as soon as possible,

big hugs to you,
francine
Hwee Yong

Post by Hwee Yong »

Hi Susan,

Don't give up. Really... if you give up, all your love ones will feel the pain much worse than you can imagine. I am saying this because my dad had an accident 3 months ago and unfortunately he too had BPI... it pains me so much just to see him trying his best to cope with the pain that I went up to the nurse and demand to see the doctor why they didn't give my dad sufficient pain relief. The sister of the ward gave me special previlege to stay with my dad during the night to take care of his needs and it has been more than a month now.

Initially I do not know what BPI means and the extend of the pain till I came accross this site and everyone here is so nice trying to help one another and even reply to my posts...

Now, what I'm trying to say is that my dad had many injuries during the accident and BPI is one of them which initially the consultant feel that they do not want to operate on it. We insisted on the nerve reconstruction surgery (without knowing the extend of pain - during the first 24 hours and the length of the wounds as I thought it would be a small one re: microscopic technic)... now after approx. 1 week, my dad told me that the pain is still there but doesn't start from the top (before surgery - the whole hand pain) but somewhere above the wrist to the finger tips... we told the doctor and he prescribe neurotine for my dad (600mg - 3 times a day plus panadol 2 tablets 4 times a day). Now my dad no doubt still have pain but better compare to the initial stage and just 2 nights ago, I tried out the suggestion given by all the nice people here ie to put pressure on the place where you feel the pain and it works. My dad say the pain subside but sometimes it starts at a different place so I try to massage (press and release) his hand (the part where he can't feel) to help him with his pain. Jennyb is nice to tell me how she use the mirror theraphy and we decided to give it a try when my dad discharge from the hospital.

So Susan, don't give up... try to read the post from this site and you will find many valuable advice given by all the kind people here. After reading give it a try coz no harm trying as it is free and it might help your pain.

So Susan... why not try sleeping on your BPI side (to put pressure on it) and see whether you still feel the pain. Don't ever think of ending your life (this is what I told my dad), try to overcome your pain and maybe you can meet all the nice people from this site during their gathering (I can't join because I am from Singapore... otherwise I will definitely like to meet all the nice people from this site).

Please take good care of yourself and look on the bright side. If you ever need someone to write to... don't hesitate to write to me... I will definitely reply to you eventhough I can only console you and tell you about the various method me and my dad tried and whether it is good with regard to my dad's BPI.

Cheers,
Hwee Yong
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm 34.I wrecked my arm in a m/cycle crash when I was
21.My left arm totally useless except for giving me
grief,13 years of pain,but I have leart to deal with
it,although it does still get the beter of me sometimes.thing is I was were youre at.I did what I
had too to get though,Now I look at all the good times
I've had and fine people I've meet since the accident
Life is cruel but don't take it.The pain might never
go but you will work out you're way of dealing with...
hang In there .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sue,
I,m 34,I wrecked my arm in a m/cycle crash when I
was 21.I was were you're at now.My arm is still use-
less,deformed and given me 13years of intense pain.
I do what I have too to deal with it,sometimes I'm
not a nice person to be around,but life goes on and
I'm thankfull for all the good times and friends I
have had since my accident.Be strong,you will find
ways to cope with the pain...sometimes I just need
a good mate and a few beers.Things will get better,
the pain might not but there are still plenty of
good times to be had-don't whimp out,people care.
athos

Post by athos »

Hi Sue,

the pain is likely to lessen after after a few years. So u are probably not going to be in such pain for the rest of ur life. For most people on these boards the pain seems to have lessened after the 1st 2-3-4 years or so.

So ur current pain may only be temporary. Ciao and good luck.
Karen Hillyer

Post by Karen Hillyer »

Susan
((((((((( )))))))))))
please know that people are thinking about you , worrying about you, caring about you, sending healing thoughts to you.
Love to you
Karen