Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Francine_Litz

Re: Denial? Or a full recovery?

Post by Francine_Litz »

oh Karen!! LOL LOL LOL that is great!!!
ronin

Post by ronin »

I wish I'd seen this earlier- You are right on- I have had Dr.s tell me that I did not have an elective surgery to amputate-that I am not being truthfulabout having to actually see 5 or 6 Dr.s before I found a guy who agreed to cut."There must have been something wrong with it " or "They must have had a reason"--MY reason was that my arm was %100 fubar and with the terrible pain I have to deal with I wanted the damn thing GONE. "Your arm Your choice" is right on the money.Hell with anybody who tries to say different.
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

Hi Jen, sorry I can't help you with the amputation decision, i'm not in your position and had very good nerve/muscle recovery as you know. I also chose no nerve surgery, you might remember when i was on the bed waiting to go down to theatre for the shouler repair surgery 1 month post accident, they handed me a form to sign. It detailed cuff rotator repair surgery and BP exploratory and possible repair surgery (or words to that effect). I crossed the BP part out as I thought the risks of complications (wont do details)outweighed possible gains, and look how much recovery i got anyway? The nerve damage just wasn't as bad as in your accident is why, not cos of surgery or not. You choosing no surgery (well no nerve surgery, if you go for the amp that will be surgery right?) is as you say EXACTLY your choice,, your arm, life, and choice. I never knew you any other way than you are and don't see much wrong with ya! ;O)
Maybe the AB's are trying to make you feel better, but just telling em its your choice a bit 'stern' might do the trick?
Hope you're in the centrally heated house soon too!

Dave m

or hiring the services of the prim n proper Karen Hillyer..

Post by Dave m »

to knock their teeth out like you KNOW she could!! (kiddin Kazza don't knock my block off;O) would be the answer Jen?!! LOL
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: or hiring the services of the prim n proper Karen Hillyer..

Post by jennyb »

I'm still amazed that ANYONE had the balls to be rude to the lovely Kazza........:0)
Paul585

Re: or hiring the services of the prim n proper Karen Hillyer..

Post by Paul585 »

True Jenny....................Paul
Mcdclaims

Post by Mcdclaims »

Do what YOU believe is the right thing for your life!!

The people who are reacting agressively towards the whole idea probably have the fear that decision you are making could be one which they may have to think about at some point...And they don't want to think about it....

Take Care!!!