MOTORCYCLES

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

MOTORCYCLES

Post by admin »

Hey folks- Anybody out there who still rides? Bpi'd R arm in mc crash and amped arm a couple years later. Figured out how to customize bikes, link brakes ect and still ride about as well as ever with my left hand only. If you ride one armed I would love to hear from you & share tips, tricks & stories. I got a 72 Triumph Bonny then went to a 400 Hondamatic, then a 79 xlh harley, a kawi Gpz and now I got a 2000 Suzuki Bandit. So any bro's or sisters who still ride please email me.
Ronin121293@yahoo.com later on--Ronin
dennisbk

Re: MOTORCYCLES

Post by dennisbk »

I'm still riding my Honda XR400 occasionally. I've only been riding off-road though. My wife refuses to let me get back on a road bike.
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hey man thats great i cant wait to get back on mine one of these days i also have r tbpi from motorcycle accident there a sight traumatic brachial plexus group that has a link to steves adaption page were he modified his ride to one hand good luck and be careful
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Triumph Bonny ay?? niiice...we very nearly recently bought the new Triumph Thunderbird Sport..but decided we didn't like the huge chrome plated radiator...oh well..we bought the new Suzuki V-Strom instead...verrrrry nice...anyway...loads of people in the U.K with a BPI get back on their bikes...have a look at the website http:www.tbpi-group.org and go to the Resources section...we recently had a meeting/gathering at a well known bikers cafe/bar in the U.K. and several of the group members turned up on their bikes, one on his trike.

There is a group in the U.K called NABD (National Association for Bikers with a Disability) who only exist to help people with all kinds of difficulties (including BPI)to get back onto the bike. They fund adaptions etc to help make this happen. Their website is http:www.nabd.org.uk...worth a look.

Liz :0)
lizzyb

Re: OOOPS!

Post by lizzyb »

...Here's the link http://www.tbpi-group.org

Liz :0)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi...
My husband & I were on our bikes waiting to make a left turn at an intersection when another car was hit from behind across the intersection which pushed it into us. My husband eacaped with a few bruises from the jump off his bike but I, unfortunately, wasn't so lucky.

I was lucky enough to make it out of ICU after two weeks and one week in rehab before being released considering the extent of my injuries. It's been just over two months and I'm now waiting to find out how bad the injury is to my right arm. (HMO red tape is causing the delay.) I'm so hoping they will be able to do surgery so that I can regain more movement in my arm.

My husband and I both have Harley's. My Custom Sportster was totaled. His has mostly cosmetic damage and is repairable. But since it looks like I won't be able to ride my own again for awhile, my husband said that he would trade his in so we could buy a Road King. I would just have to settle for being a passenger again until I could ride my own again.

I work for an H-D dealer so my boss gave us a fabulous deal on a custom Screaming Eagle Road King. I'm excited about getting out for a ride real soon. I think it's helped get my mind off my arm and the pain, no to mention the frustration of not being able to use it.

I will be checking this message board often. It'll be consoling to correspond with others who are dealing with the same kind of injury.

Thanks for listening!
John K

Post by John K »

Hey Robbie

I own an after market Harley shop. http://www.scootersperformance.com. I had an accident on my Roadking in Aug 99. It was pretty bad wreck but all recovered except my left bpi arm. It is totally flail. I occasionally ride a custom Pro street FXR I built. It is converted to relocate the clutch on the right. I am trying to work out either a thumb brake or an additonal lever instead of linking both brakes to the same rear brake pedal. I am not totally comfortable riding but i miss it terribly. Its very frustrating making a living building and customizing Harleys and not be able to ride them. But I still love what I do.
What area of the country do you live in? I am in Florida. Good luck i hope you get riding again soon.

John(pushrod243)
jacko

Post by jacko »

John, why not use a Harley trike. It's a whole different riding experience, and a lot better than a car. You don't get to lean a trike into bends etc., but it's still great fun. I've been riding a trike for 5 years now, and while I would love to take a two-wheeler around some nice twisty roads, I still get loads of fun on my trike. And you don't need all the protective gear.
John K

Post by John K »

I dunno about the trike thing. I think the front end would be so heavy for one arm. And I ride my two wheeler fine. My concern is getting out of the way of others in emergencys. I know my reactions one armed cannot be as quick or effective as before. Its a big risk that I am not sure if its worth taking. If I screw up my good arm i'd lose my independence. Right now I live alone and run my own business. Seems like a lot too risk but then again if you live your life in a glass box are you really living?
jacko

Post by jacko »

I don't have any problems at all flicking a trike about one-handed. OK it's difficult to turn the 'bars when it's standing still, but then so is a car. Once you get moving, even really slowly, you don't notice the weight.

I ride in the UK, which is about the size of the average back yard in the USA, so our roads are really congested. The chance of getting knocked off a bike by someone else is much higher than simply losing control and dropping the bike. Hence I feel a lot safer on my very stable trike than I would on 2 wheels.

Still, just coz I LOVE my trike, I know it wouldn't be everyone's cup of Earl Grey.