i am new and looking for support....

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

i am new and looking for support....

Post by cbe411 »

Hi! My name is Courtney. I am a 23 year old college student in Michigan. I have a TBPI from a car accident in April 2001, 4 days after my 21st bday! I fell asleep driving home to my parents house for Easter, needless to say, I didn't get there. I fractured T1 and had no feeling or movement at all. I did feel the PAIN, was that rough, the worst I have ever felt! I even had to move back in with my dad for 3 months after bweing with my roomies for a year.
I had a nerve graph in Jan 02 in Louisville, KY (Dr. Wolffe) and he has talked of a lat transfer for elbow function. I found some information on the Yale Brachial Plexus Center and was very impressed. I am trying to see what my insurance will say about trying them... I just can't clo9se any doors!!
My mom came to visit me this weekend, we live about 2 hours away, and we got to talking and thought there has to be somewhere out there where people like mecan talk. Thats how I found this site and as I sit reading the posts, I just cry, I am no longer alone with these feelings I have!!
I am trying to deal with the depression side of it too, self esteem, school, working again in the future, in general getting on with my life and I am SCARED TO DEATH! I think that the depression is starting to get the best of me, and I DON'T WANT THAT!! I have 2 roomates who are the BEST! but I have always been and still attain to be as independent as I can! My parents thought I should move back home but I was determined to live back with my roomies and have a "normal" life, of which I am and glad that I did!!
Hope that this hasn't bored any of you but I was EXSTATIC to find this site and was thinking maybe I could talk with some people, if there is anyone from Michigan, that would be great too!!!! I have AOL (princes4118021): yahoo messenger (court1720): or MSN messenger (cbe411). If you can catch me I would LOVE to talk!!! Thank you and take care to all who read!!! :)
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: i am new and looking for support....

Post by jennyb »

Hi Courtney and welcome :0)

Like you my tbpi happened just after my 21st birthday, 3 weeks exactly. I avulsed or severely damaged all the nerves and don't have any use of my lower arm or hand, but I can use my biceps a wee bit and bend my arm. I'm 44 now and still surviving......I think you're doing the right thing in trying so hard to be independent, in the long run that is the thing that actually enables you to overcome the biggest probs of this injury, ie the pain and the depression. That's just my opinion, for what it's worth. I have had a very busy and full life without a right arm and like everyone I have had very down periods as well as the joyful ones, but I have never associated these with my arm and have fought through to where I am now. Sometimes I get a jolt of sadness when I discover something I can't do, like my youngest child asking me to braid her hair, it's natural and normal. I have learnt that everyone has their limitations, even those who consider themselves able bodied-sometimes the limitations aren't physical, but that doesn't make them less limiting........am I making sense?? You're at an age where you have to make all kinds of decisions and lifestyle choices, of course it's scary! You have done so well to live independently so far, things with a bpi do tend to get easier with time so I'm sure you'll get through this and be just fine :0) Here's hoping.

Some of us got together and set up a TBPI website to fill the huge gaps in available info about tbpi here it is http://tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/Index_1.html We are still fairly new so lots more info needed there, but you might find the FAQ's interesting, especially about the depression side of things. There is a very lively message board attached, don't worry you don't have to be a biker to post, and we actually do have a lot of women posters, just we find it hard to get a word in edgeways past the guys :0)

I do know of another bpi in Michigan, her name is Tina and she had both arms injured at birth. She is one of the best coping bpi's I know with a great "just do it" attitude and certainly one of the best people I know, anywhere. I'll tell her you've posted here :0) Take care Courtney Jen NZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Courtney

I was 22 when I hade a motorcycle accident that left me with my right arm bpi. I am now 43 and still going strong, although a bit grouchy at times. Since my injury I have not let it stop me from doing what I really want to do. Sure there are limitations, but they are few and far between, even it doesn't seem so right now. With a little imagination and some help from family and friends, there will be no stopping you. I went back to school after my bpi and went all the way to a doctoral degree. I'm married with an active family of three boys. I swim, bike, play squash, go snowmobiling, etc. It won't be easy, but you can do it.
The depression is a natural by product and I suggest you see a therapist for that asap. I resisted that and have only recently had therapy and it it helped enormously.
I too recently discovered this forum and it has been a tremendous relief, albeit tinged with sadness, to know that I'm not alone in this.
Hang in and write often.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

thanks for the advice guys and thanks Jen for the website link, thats got some great info!!! i am on a mission to find a therapist to talk to now as well. i think that will really help me deal with things better!!! thank you both and ill write again soon.. :)
joan/rusty

Post by joan/rusty »

Hi Courtney,
It seems that the twenties might need to be looked at carefully. I was 20 when I wrecked a motorbike, my right arm is completly frail. I am now 36 and like the ones that wrote before me -- still kicking !!!!!!
Some things are not possible to do with one arm, but I assure you, there are not many !!!! If you want to do something there is amost always a way for it to be done with one arm. I had someone tell me that I could not fly an airplane again -- I am taking lessons again right now to get my lic. back. So keep your head up and keep liv'n

Rusty
cbe411

Post by cbe411 »

thanks Rusty!! That is one thing that I can say is that I am a fighter and that I CAN'T stop trying to do what I want!! thanks for the encouragement!!1 I appreciate it!!!
~Courtney
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey Courtney,

I have a tbpi from a truck accident when i was 9 years old, I am now 26 years old. There are only a few things I cannot do with one hand, but its not many. Often I think others think I'm showing off when I am able to do things better than others using two hands, ie. billiards, basketball, etc. It's frustrating I'm sure you've realized. My left arm was pretty badly damaged in the accident, requiring skin, muscle and nerve grafts down the line. So not only is my arm disfigured and immobile, but I have lots of keyloid scar tissue all over my body. Kind of a new body art. It sucks in a way, but I am lucky to be alive. But sometimes I get really down about it, this message board is good, it helps get the hurt out. Hope you are doing well and feel free to email me with any more thoughts or concerns.
(mateogarcia@hotmail.com)
-Matthew
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Courtney,

I was 22 when I tore my Brachial Plexus. I had just finished college and was working on my masters. I moved home for about 6 months but had to get out and be independent. At first, I felt like I was free falling into a bottomless hole with no way of stopping. I continued my masters degree which turned out to be the best therapy. You will find that when you start interviewing for your first career job people will hire you for your brains, energy and personality. There are a few jerks out there but don't let that stop you. You would not have wanted to work with them in the first place. Most of the time, people are impressed with what you can do with one arm. It shows character and determination. I have found that I do more with one arm than most people do with two. I am now 33 years old, married and have my first child on the way. You will be just fine. I was scared to death at first. In looking back there was nothing to be scared of.

-Rich
Princess

Post by Princess »

How do you manage to swim, bike, snowmobile, etc? That is awesome! I would love to run, swim, maybe ski one day, of course, only on the bunny slope. I find it hard to be physical b/c my arm is heavy & weighs me down. Any advice would be very appreciated! I love hearing about peoples accomplishments, it gives me inner strength & hope. Here's to yoy Henry!

Courtney, I just turned 27 & its been a year since my bpi. Feel free to drop me a line anytime. Things are bound to get better, I promise!
Princess

Post by Princess »

You play billiards Matt?? That is awesome!!!