Doctos at Mayo in 2013 / 2014

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Doctos at Mayo in 2013 / 2014

Post by alheim »

Hello all,

I am heading to the Mayo clinic on January 15th & 16th for testing and to meet the team.

Are doctors Alex Shin, Allen Bishop, and Robert Spinner all still there?

Of course everyone speaks highly of the hospital, but has anyone been out there recently? How was it and how were your doctors? Any tips?

I will report back with my own experience in a few weeks.

Alex
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Doctos at Mayo in 2013 / 2014

Post by Carolyn J »

Please do report back, Alex. Best of Luck and safe trip.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75++++ 8-)
hubbard
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 07-08-2012 Left BPI, which is dominant arm. Had a bicycle accident.

Post by hubbard »

Alex, all three are still there! Shin is funny and jokes around. Bishop takes the time to explain everything to you and make sure you understand things! Spinner we saw on my sons initial visit, but not much since. Tho he was in on the 1st surgery Dana had. They definitely know what's going on! Dana's 1st surgery was a year ago thanksgiving, and nov 5 of this year he was back for a wrist and thumb fusion.

Best of luck with your visit to Mayo and I hope your nerves were just stretched or tore!

Marsena
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Post by alheim »

Thank you Marsena, just what I wanted to hear.

I will report back upon my return.

Alex
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

To find a way is to try, it is a blessing no matter what :shock: ;)
Your path of possible outcome is bright, picking the first operation is a choose , there is by posts a time element in fixing these types of injuries to :roll:
Picking the first surgery or treatment that will give you the most usage back is the one that have the best outcome and are in time to do :roll:
It is amazing to see our ability to adapt and what your left with in life. I am so glad to see your going on this quest and found a place to go :shock: ;)
When I was 10 , I went to a children hospital in the 60s and was examined by many doctors , the outcome was there was no help for my birth erbs and was told your just going to have to live with it , my outcome my post.
I am sure , what ever you dont get from one surgery you will get others overtime.
There hope and then there Posts :shock: ;) :D
Mr Positive :shock:
Tom
EPC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had Thoracic Outlet Surgery in July 2013. I awaken to movement of my fingers, but I couldn't pick up anything, no matter how light without dropping it. I couln't brush my teeth because I would drop brush, couldnt brush hair, hold fork, open door,etc. This is my dominant hand. I am a law enforcement officer and 7 months later I still can't pull trigger. I was diagnosed in Sept 2013 stating it involved ulnar median and radial nerves. The neurologist made diagnosis, said call if u need us and that was it...no follow up. I went back last week and was told again..call if u need us...Im trying to get second opinion with denial by insurance. No one within my plan treats Adult BPI. I am new to this injury, but I dont think call us if you need us is the treatment I need.

Post by EPC »

I hope all went well at Mayo...I have been trying desperately to go there for last 5 months but am denied by insurance.. The kicker is no one within the insurance plan contracts to deal with adult tpbi.
EPC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had Thoracic Outlet Surgery in July 2013. I awaken to movement of my fingers, but I couldn't pick up anything, no matter how light without dropping it. I couln't brush my teeth because I would drop brush, couldnt brush hair, hold fork, open door,etc. This is my dominant hand. I am a law enforcement officer and 7 months later I still can't pull trigger. I was diagnosed in Sept 2013 stating it involved ulnar median and radial nerves. The neurologist made diagnosis, said call if u need us and that was it...no follow up. I went back last week and was told again..call if u need us...Im trying to get second opinion with denial by insurance. No one within my plan treats Adult BPI. I am new to this injury, but I dont think call us if you need us is the treatment I need.

Post by EPC »

I hope all went well at Mayo...I have been trying desperately to go there for last 5 months but am denied by insurance.. The kicker is no one within the insurance plan contracts to deal with adult tpbi.
alheim

Post by alheim »

Well, here I am, back in Rochester, MN, in a Mayo waiting room, 8 weeks after my last visit. I'm about to go for a second EMG, then I'll meet with the trio again a few hours later today.

I apologize for the delay in writing this follow-up post. My first visit in January went well. I really liked Shin & Spinner. Bishop was out, but hopefully I'll meet him today. Dr. Alex Shin basically directed the consultation, and he was very upbeat, friendly, optimistic, and realistic. And smart. I came armed with a long list of questions and they patiently answered them all. We determined that, because I was showing some signs of spontaneous recovery, we'd wait until the 5-month mark (now) to reevaluate.

Depending on the results of our reevaluation today, we'll likely go right into surgery tomorrow.

I currently have pretty good shoulder function, I can abduct the arm and lift it ahead of me, but I can't lift it above horizontal. I can make a fist and have decent sensation in the hand, albeit with some pain. I have about half and inch of subluxation at the shoulder, because my deltoids are gone. I have no biceps nor triceps. I have little to no finger or wrist extension. I can not supinate my arm/wrist.

We'll see.