Anyone teenage?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
mdunko22554

Anyone teenage?

Post by mdunko22554 »

My 16 years old daughter had ATV accident 04/2013. Her right arm unavailable function at all. She had surgery 8/2013 to transfer some nerve.She had to move to new area because her fathers job. She had tough time now. After she injured everything new, new school, new friend. I'm looking for a support group for her age near my area. I'm in Northern Virginia.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Anyone teenage?

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I saw your message did not get a answer, yet :shock:
Im thinking :roll: you might post it on the General message board. There are a lot more parents there ;)
I thought I would share this because , I did move when I was 12 to Chicago.
What help me when I moved was focussing on things I learn to adapt to, my way and it help fitting in by what I learn to adapt to.
What is a blessing is because I learned to adapt , before we moved.
The Scariest day , was Kindergarten, because I did not know how to adapt.
Train wheels, Help to adapt moving :shock: ;)
Hopefully this helps, :roll:
Tom
mdunko22554

Post by mdunko22554 »

Thank you for the advice. I will try to post it on the general message board.
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

I am 48 and was 43 when I was injured in my accident. I have a daughter just 3 years older than yours and can only imagine how she is dealing with all of the variables she is dealing with. School, friends, injury and pain. Bless her heart!

It was not until I went to the Mayo Clinic that I actually even met anyone who has experienced a TBPI.

So sorry but please tell her IT DOES GET BETTER. You ultimately begin to "own" your injury and realize there is indeed a life after this accident - and it can be a very good one!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue May 27, 2014 9:40 am.